Rusty

Default Remove hard carriage returns

I have a document that someone created using a hard carriage return
(paragraph mark) at the end of each line. I need to quickly remove them so
the document will be easier to edit. I know I can go to each paragraph mark
and delete it, adding a space between words, but that's really inefficient
for a lengthy document. The "Find & Replace" feature won't accept a carriage
return (enter key) as a valid character to find OR replace.

Can someone tell me how to save the couple of hours it will take to manually
remove these paragraph marks from this document? I can't seem to find
anything helpful in Help. Thank you for your assistance!!
Lisa Wilke-Thissen

Hi Rusty,

"Rusty" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
I have a document that someone created using a hard
carriage return (paragraph mark) at the end of each line.
I need to quickly remove them so the document will be
easier to edit.

[...]
The "Find & Replace" feature won't accept a carriage
return (enter key) as a valid character to find OR replace.

search for ^p or use the button "more/ special".

--
Regards

Lisa
MS MVP Word

Jay Freedman

Rusty wrote:
I have a document that someone created using a hard carriage return
(paragraph mark) at the end of each line. I need to quickly remove
them so the document will be easier to edit. I know I can go to each
paragraph mark and delete it, adding a space between words, but
that's really inefficient for a lengthy document. The "Find &
Replace" feature won't accept a carriage return (enter key) as a
valid character to find OR replace.

Can someone tell me how to save the couple of hours it will take to
manually remove these paragraph marks from this document? I can't
seem to find anything helpful in Help. Thank you for your assistance!!

Hi Rusty,

The Find/Replace dialog has a bunch of codes you can use to search for
special characters. To get them, click the More button in the dialog and
then click the Special button that appears. The code for a paragraph mark
(hard carriage return) is ^p.

There are some steps you can take to make this job as easy as possible. See