davidsmum

Default Office Proffesional 2003 unable to open files.

I am having problems with opening saved files in both word and excel. When I
try to open a file it gives me the message "the file (name of file) is not
available". When I exit word or excel i get the meassgae "the file normal
already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" I also get the
message "changes have been made that effect the global template. DO you want
to save those changes?"
I am at a loss as to what to do. If I go into my files through "My Computer,
My DOcuments" the files are all there, with a file size listed e.g. 21kb. I
just can't open them!
If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
THanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Could not open word document

Hi , I am shobana, Having the same problem. Please let me know how to
disable the plug in . I tryed to uninstall Norton AntiVirus but it says,
"Norton Antivirus
cannot be uninstalled".
Thanks,
shobana.

"davidsmum" wrote in message
I am having problems with opening saved files in both word and excel. When

try to open a file it gives me the message "the file (name of file) is not
available". When I exit word or excel i get the meassgae "the file normal
already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" I also get the
message "changes have been made that effect the global template. DO you

want
to save those changes?"
I am at a loss as to what to do. If I go into my files through "My

Computer,
My DOcuments" the files are all there, with a file size listed e.g. 21kb.

just can't open them!
If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
THanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You don't have to uninstall NAV. Checking of Word/Office documents can
usually be deselected in the AV program by turning off its Office Plug-in
from the NAV application's options.

With some versions of the Norton product it may be necessary to unregister
the calling DLL by running the following command line from Windows Start
Run

regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton antivirus\officeav.dll"
or
regsvr32 /u "c:\program files\norton systemworks\norton
antivirus\officeav.dll"

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Both problems are symptomatic of problems with the Norton Office
Plug-in. If you have Norton AntiVirus installed, disable the plug-in.

newsgroup so all may benefit.

"davidsmum" wrote in message
I am having problems with opening saved files in both word and
excel. When I try to open a file it gives me the message "the file
(name of file) is not available". When I exit word or excel i get
the meassgae "the file normal already exists. Do you want to
replace the existing file?" I also get the message "changes have
been made that effect the global template. DO you want to save
those changes?"
I am at a loss as to what to do. If I go into my files through "My
Computer, My DOcuments" the files are all there, with a file size
listed e.g. 21kb. I just can't open them!
If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
THanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aditi

"davidsmum" wrote in message
I am having problems with opening saved files in both word and excel. When

try to open a file it gives me the message "the file (name of file) is not
available". When I exit word or excel i get the meassgae "the file normal
already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" I also get the
message "changes have been made that effect the global template. DO you

want
to save those changes?"
I am at a loss as to what to do. If I go into my files through "My

Computer,
My DOcuments" the files are all there, with a file size listed e.g. 21kb.

just can't open them!
If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
THanks in advance!

how do i disable the norton ant virus plug in? which folder contains it

please help
its driving me crazy coz i cant open any of my files.
thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

1. Open Norton AntiVirus (right-click on the Systray icon and choose this
option).

2. Click on the Options button at the top of the dialog.

3. In the Options dialog, click on Miscellaneous (menu on the left)

4. Clear the check box for "Enable Office Plug-in."

5. OK out and close NAV.

"aditi" wrote in message
news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Both problems are symptomatic of problems with the Norton Office

Plug-in. If
you have Norton AntiVirus installed, disable the plug-in.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"davidsmum" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
inneedofhelp inneedofhelp is offline

i have the same problem. I have nav installed but donot use. can someone
please advise asap!!1

"davidsmum" wrote in message
I am having problems with opening saved files in both word and excel. When

try to open a file it gives me the message "the file (name of file) is not
available". When I exit word or excel i get the meassgae "the file normal
already exists. Do you want to replace the existing file?" I also get the
message "changes have been made that effect the global template. DO you

want
to save those changes?"
I am at a loss as to what to do. If I go into my files through "My

Computer,
My DOcuments" the files are all there, with a file size listed e.g. 21kb.

just can't open them!
If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful.
THanks in advance!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This isn't a Word issue. I would suggest contacting Norton and asking them
for support. (And I will warn you, it ain't gonna be easy to get someone
there to help.)

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]