jdkelley

Default Problem with Page Numbers in Index using Word 2002

I had Word put page numbers with dashes before and after the number (i.e.,
-1-)throughout my document, then Indexed the document. The page numbers that
showed up in the index were in the same format: -1-. I didn't like having
dashes next before and after the page numbers in the index, so I changed page
numbers throughout the document to simple arabic numbers (1,2,3,...) with no
dash before or after the page number. I reindexed the document, but I
continue to get page numbers in the index with dashes before and after the
number. Can someone tell me how to get rid of the dashes in the index?

Instead of using the Insert | Page Numbers feature, use the Insert Page
Number button on the Header and Footer toolbar. You can then add hyphens or
dashes or any other punctuation you want to the page number as plain text,
not part of the { PAGE } field. I'm afraid I don't have any idea why
updating the index wouldn't correct the page number display issue, however.