Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jim

Default Where are files stored?

I save all of my data files (Word, Excel, QuickBooks, etc.) in one directory
on my C drive called "Data Files". This makes backing up very easy, as I only
have to copy one main directory, and all the subdirectories go with it.

When I create a Word document, I save it under the Word subdirectory
contained in "Data Files". But when I create a Word document, and then within
the body of the document I create a new Excel spreadsheet, where does Word
save the spreadsheet? Is it saved as part of the Word file, or does
Word/Windows save the spreadsheet part of the document in another folder that
I don't know about?

If the spreadsheet isn't saved as part of the Word document, it will not get
copied when I do my backup.

Thanks for any help you guys can give. Somebody on here always seems to know
the answers!
--
Jim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier

Any Excel object that is created inside of Word will be embedded
inside the word document. However, if you inserted an Excel
Spreadsheet by using the Insert menu, selected Object, and then Create
from File, and LINKED to the spreadsheet, the spreadsheet will be
saved separately. If you neglected to Link to the spreadsheet, then
the copy of your existing sheet will be embedded in the document and
saved as part of the document.

To check whether you Linked or Embedded, from the Edit menu look at
the Links menu. If Links is grayed and inaccessible, then the sheet
is stored with the document. If you can access the Links dialog box,
then it will tell you where the spreadsheet is stored.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message is posted to a newsgroup. Please post replies and
questions to the newsgroup so that others can learn as well.