Default Help with Header/Footer size problem

Please excuss me if you have seen this post on the MS Office group
board, but I really need to figure this out.

I have a document with a single table with two cells. This table will
often cross two or more pages. However, resently, when we enter
information that goes beyond the first page, the Header becomes the
size of the page. This causes the information in the bottom of the
table to lost to view/printing. As long as the table is less than a
page long, the header is normal (3 lines deep).

The page settings for header and document both show vertical alignment
as top.

Can anyone help me?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

I have a document with a single table with two cells. This table will
often cross two or more pages. However, resently, when we enter
information that goes beyond the first page, the Header becomes the
size of the page. This causes the information in the bottom of the
table to lost to view/printing. As long as the table is less than a
page long, the header is normal (3 lines deep).

The page settings for header and document both show vertical alignment
as top.

Sounds decidedly odd. Version of Word? You do mean a page header, and
not a table header (first row with column labels), don't you?

This is happening only in the one file? What if you Ctrl+A, then
Shift+Left Arrow, Copy, and paste into a new document. Then copy just
the text out of the header into the header of the new document. Does the
problem persist in the new document?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

GregDC

The version is 2000
It is the page header NOT the table header
We have done the content copy to a new doc and the header is still
messed up

This is a strange one indeed. I have other document that work
normally.

Thanks for any ideas you may have

Greg

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi GregDC,

The version is 2000
It is the page header NOT the table header
We have done the content copy to a new doc and the header is still
messed up

How, exactly, did you perform the "content copy"? Did you follow my
instructions *exactly*, or did you just select everything, then
copy/paste? If that's what you did, you just carried the problem
right along...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

GregDC

Cindy,
Thanks for the reply. No I didn't just select everything to the
new doc. Accually I copyed just some content into an empty shell
document and then put in enough paragraph markers (Georgia 9pt) to
cause the table to break into the second page.
The results we The empty shell page header is only 5 lines deep.
After the content copy, the header on the single page did not change.
But when the second page was forced the page header on page one and
two were then full page down to the start of the footer (which is one
line with page x of y content)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi GregDC,

Something is gnawing at the back of my brain; I think I've seen this
before, and there was an answer. I just cannot recall what it was...

Which means we have no choice but to trouble-shoot this step-by-step
until we narrow down the cause.

1. If you copy the same content into a new document, but NOT
header/footre stuff (don't touch header/footer at all, to begin with): Do
you see the same problem if you force a new page?

2. If not, open the header footer and just type a word. Try again?

3. Now try copying in the header/footer information, as you did in your
last test (described below). If the problem occurs now, then it's
something you're bringing across in the header/footer.

Accually I copyed just some content into an empty shell
document and then put in enough paragraph markers (Georgia 9pt) to
cause the table to break into the second page.
The results we The empty shell page header is only 5 lines deep.
After the content copy, the header on the single page did not change.
But when the second page was forced the page header on page one and
two were then full page down to the start of the footer (which is one
line with page x of y content)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

GregDC

Yes both of these have been checked. The document is set for Top, the
keep next is not a problem.
Thanks for reply, however!

Greg

Little problem about the header/footer Rita New Users 2 April 3rd 05 05:14 PM
Page Size Problem Ms. T Microsoft Word Help 3 April 1st 05 10:25 PM
Setting custom size problem Bob S Page Layout 0 December 24th 04 03:25 PM
Header/Footer size bchase Page Layout 1 December 7th 04 03:26 PM
Header/Footer Problem Django Microsoft Word Help 0 November 23rd 04 09:43 PM