Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Poindextrous Poindextrous is offline

Default Different Margins in First Page Header

Creating a different first page header is easy enough, but how do I change
the vertical margin for the first page header? Modifying the first page's
changes them all. I could get around this with a section break, but I don't
see how I could make this work as I am pasting in a tall (multi page) Excel
table into the document and can't see how that would be possible (or without
creating other problems). There's got to be a way, right?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Set the vertical margin for the whole document to the smaller of what
you want on the first page or the remaining pages. Then for the header
that you want to have a larger vertical margin, "pad" that header either
by selecting the header paragraph and adding "spacing before" in the
Format | Paragraph dialog, or by adding one or more extra blank lines
before or after the header.

Poindextrous wrote:

Creating a different first page header is easy enough, but how do I change
the vertical margin for the first page header? Modifying the first page's
changes them all. I could get around this with a section break, but I don't
see how I could make this work as I am pasting in a tall (multi page) Excel
table into the document and can't see how that would be possible (or without
creating other problems). There's got to be a way, right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Poindextrous Poindextrous is offline

This solution looks good, thank you. But as I today went to create a new
document with this technique, I find now that the expected behavior- being
able to adjust the first page header margins differently from the following
pages works as I first wanted but Word failed to do and prompted the original
post. Maybe the application is feeling a little more clear headed on a Monday
morning? I will take this as a reminder that sometimes quitting an
application, perhaps even restarting for good measure, may result in the
desired behavior. Poltergeist ?

Poindextrous wrote:

Creating a different first page header is easy enough, but how do I change
the vertical margin for the first page header? Modifying the first page's
changes them all. I could get around this with a section break, but I don't
see how I could make this work as I am pasting in a tall (multi page) Excel
table into the document and can't see how that would be possible (or without
creating other problems). There's got to be a way, right?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

See the "More complex letterhead" section of
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm. There is no other way to
have different margins on different pages without a section break.