Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

Default Word 2003 Mail Merge is generating zero values.

Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge data
from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data source (excel)
and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are coming up ZERO? Why?
They are entered. This small problem is making what would otherwise
save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What data is in the fields?

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and go to the General tab and
check the box against the "Confifm conversions at open" item. Then when you
attach the data source to the mail merge main document, try using the DDE
option that you can select in the dialog that will appear.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge data
from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data source (excel)
and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are coming up ZERO? Why?
They are entered. This small problem is making what would otherwise
save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa Melissa is offline

So sorry I couldn't reply, I had an emergency family situation and had to
take time off work unexpectedly. The data is phone numbers and general text
field describing an alternatvie rental car company.

ANd I checked the general tab in the tools menu and I didn't see that
particular tab, can I do this in word 2003?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What data is in the fields?

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and go to the General tab and

"Melissa" wrote in message
Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge data
from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data source (excel)
and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are coming up ZERO? Why?
They are entered. This small problem is making what would otherwise
save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The instructions that I gave you were for Word 2003.

--

"Melissa" wrote in message
So sorry I couldn't reply, I had an emergency family situation and had to
take time off work unexpectedly. The data is phone numbers and general
text
field describing an alternatvie rental car company.

ANd I checked the general tab in the tools menu and I didn't see that
particular tab, can I do this in word 2003?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What data is in the fields?

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and go to the General tab and

"Melissa" wrote in message
Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge
data
from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data source (excel)
and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are coming up ZERO? Why?
They are entered. This small problem is making what would otherwise
save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

For the "why", see http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm (you will need a bit of
time :-) ).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Melissa" wrote in message
Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge data
from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data source (excel)
and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are coming up ZERO? Why?
They are entered. This small problem is making what would otherwise
save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It is the fourth item in tools options general?

Melissa wrote:
So sorry I couldn't reply, I had an emergency family situation and
had to take time off work unexpectedly. The data is phone numbers
and general text field describing an alternatvie rental car company.

ANd I checked the general tab in the tools menu and I didn't see that
particular tab, can I do this in word 2003?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What data is in the fields?

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and go to the General
tab and check the box against the "Confifm conversions at open"

"Melissa" wrote in message
Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge
data from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data
source (excel) and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are
coming up ZERO? Why? They are entered. This small problem is making
what would otherwise save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP
HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Virgo66 Virgo66 is offline

Is this the long term fix you recommend for this problem? I am having the
same issue with my mailmerge -- two text fields come up as '0', even though
others work.

"Melissa" wrote in message
So sorry I couldn't reply, I had an emergency family situation and had to
take time off work unexpectedly. The data is phone numbers and general
text
field describing an alternatvie rental car company.

ANd I checked the general tab in the tools menu and I didn't see that
particular tab, can I do this in word 2003?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What data is in the fields?

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and go to the General tab and

"Melissa" wrote in message
Ugh, in order to stream line a tedious process I am trying to merge
data
from excel into word. All fields are entered in the data source (excel)
and when they merge 2 of my imputed fields are coming up ZERO? Why?
They are entered. This small problem is making what would otherwise
save us from a huge time suck... HELP HELP HELP.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The origin of these problems is described in
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm.

As for longer term fixes,
a. I would always consider the possibility of not using Excel to store data
(particularly if you have a lot of it) - these days you can keep data in
various free databases, using Excel as a user interface if you prefer. But
then you get your data directly from that database for Word merges.
Otherwise you end up having to use Excel with more caution than is normally
necessary purely to get around problems in the ODBC/OLE DB providers.
b. other than changing to DDE, for this particular case I think the only
simple option in Excel is to select the column and set the cell format to
Text /before/ you enter any data, or follow the section on "Format a column
as text via Data|Text to Columns..." in the abovementioned article. Dealing
with ZIPs and dates is somewhat trickier.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Melissa" wrote in message
So sorry I couldn't reply, I had an emergency family situation and had
take time off work unexpectedly. The data is phone numbers and general
text
field describing an alternatvie rental car company.

ANd I checked the general tab in the tools menu and I didn't see that
particular tab, can I do this in word 2003?

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What data is in the fields?

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and go to the General tab
and