Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MechEngr MechEngr is offline

Default blocked as spam

I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but some
recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has been sent
(they are in the sent box) and if I €śreply to all€ť and send the email
directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and the
email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure that the email
is being filtered by the receiving server spam filters when coming from the
Word merge process, but not when sent directly from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You cannot insist that e-mail messages you send to people are not treated by
them as spam.
If the recipients are complaining about the omission then it is up to them
to mark your sending address as safe.

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MechEngr MechEngr is offline

You missed the point of the question: An email sent directly from Outlook
(exactly same message, same mail server, same account) WILL be received by
the recipient (in this case, it is my work email), but when sent through
Outlook using the mail merge from MS Word, the message is sent, not received.

Something about the merge process is tagging the email differently that if
sent directly from Outlook.

Thanks for you help.

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I can't do the Word 2003 + Outlook 2007 combination that you are using here,
but sending from Word 2007 and Outlook 2007 /as an attachment) the source
code of the e-mail messages look identical (barring expected details such as
slightl differences in message ID etc. etc. ). i.e., they have the same
headers - there's nothing in there to indicate any significant difference to
a SPAM engine, unless they are somehow picking up on the fact that you are
sending a lot of them.

However, you could be merging to HTML format or plain text format, or
sending a rich text MIME format message that does not have an attachment, in
which case the two messages could look quite different to a SPAM trap
engine.

(FWIW, as far as I know, when you merge to email from Word, you Outlook
format settings have little or no influence over how the message is
formatted. That is not the case when you construct your message in Outlook).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MechEngr MechEngr is offline

Thanks Peter. I am merging into plain text email from Word2003. I have
performed several tests with only two records in the distribution list, to
eliminate the possibility of being seen as €śsending too many emails€ť. The
receiving server seams to know the difference between being sent directly
from Outlook or from a Word merge to Outlook.

There must be some hidden text attached to the plain-text email that gives
it away.

MechEng

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do the merged emails end up in the recipient's Junk Mail folder?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"MechEngr" wrote in message
Thanks Peter. I am merging into plain text email from Word2003. I have
performed several tests with only two records in the distribution list, to
eliminate the possibility of being seen as "sending too many emails". The

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and
send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam
filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MechEngr MechEngr is offline

No. They just do not show up.

If I go to Outlook Sent box, the emails from the merge are there. If I
click on "Reply to all" and send, the email will be delivered to both
addresses (the old sender and reciepant).

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and
send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam
filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Well, interestingly enough, when Word merges to -mail supposedly using
"plain text" it seems actually to send an HTML-encoded MIME part - the
sample below is from Word (I have changed some of the address details) 2007
but I believe Word 2003 was the same. And as I said before, I think /Word/
is doing this, not /Outlook/. I don't know of a resultion but SPAM traps
that disallow HTML mail may disallow this, but allow a plain text mail from
Outlook, which would at least explain what is going on. It's also possible
that the ones generated by Word actually have an unusual structure for this
day and age.

(The body content was a couple of blank lines surrounding "0 ")

Subject: mysubject plain
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:41:05 +0100
From: "Peter Jamieson"

------_=_NextPart_001_01C90B90.BEA34693

0

------_=_NextPart_001_01C90B90.BEA34693

!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN"
HTML
HEAD
TITLEmysubject plain/TITLE
/HEAD
BODY
!-- Converted from text/plain format --

PFONT SIZE=3D20       =
BR
/FONT
/P

/BODY
/HTML

MechEngr wrote:
I have the e-mail merge working from Word2003 and Outlook2007, but
some recipients are not getting the emails. I can see the email has
been sent (they are in the sent box) and if I "reply to all" and
send
the email directly from Outlook, the recipients will receive the
email.

I have tried the test with as few as two email recipient merges and
the email still does not reach the intended recipients. I am sure
that the email is being filtered by the receiving server spam
filters
when coming from the Word merge process, but not when sent directly
from Outlook.

Any thoughts or ways around this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MechEngr MechEngr is offline

Ok. I have been trying an Outlook add-in "Easy Mail Merge" and it seams to
go around this isses and will mail out both Plain text and HTML emails. This
may be my solution.

Thanks for your help.

MechENG

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:41:05 +0100

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ClassicalBass ClassicalBass is offline

Has "Easy Mail Merge" solved your problem? In testing an email merge from
Word 2003, through Outlook, I noticed the exact same issue you described.

ClassicalBass

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:41:05 +0100

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MechEngr MechEngr is offline

Yes, for me the "Easy Mail Merge" took care of my problem. I have been using
the Outlook Add-in quite a bit and have found only one thing that I wish it
could do... attach different documents to the individual emails, manually or
otherwise. I do like the rich text email format from the Easy Mail Merge
better than the plain-text emails from the Word merge.
€śEasy Mail Merge€ť has a trial demo, but it is limited to 10 emails. Good
luck.

MechENG

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 18:41:05 +0100

blocked file Undine New Users 2 January 13th 08 05:33 PM
Not junk or spam Warren254 Microsoft Word Help 2 November 30th 07 05:45 AM
About spam Bob New Users 6 July 17th 06 01:56 PM
My Microsfot Word was infected by virus or Spam My Microsoft Word was infected - Help Microsoft Word Help 3 May 30th 06 07:02 PM
How do you keep emailed Word documents out of spam filters Mel Microsoft Word Help 2 August 1st 05 03:45 PM