Scott.Thayn

Default Inserting a Section Break inserts extra pages

If I create a new section break, whether it is Next Page, Odd, Even, or
Continuous, sometimes it inserts an extra page that is not visible unless I
go to "Print Preview." This doesn't happen all of the time and I can't
figure out why it does it some times and not others.
Doug Robbins

A Next Page Section Break will always cause a new page to be added. The Odd
and the Even will add a new page depending upon the page number of the page
in which the Section Break is added. A continuous one should only add a new
page if its position coincides with where a soft page break would otherwise
have been.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Scott.Thayn" wrote in message
If I create a new section break, whether it is Next Page, Odd, Even, or
Continuous, sometimes it inserts an extra page that is not visible unless
go to "Print Preview." This doesn't happen all of the time and I can't
figure out why it does it some times and not others.

Scott.Thayn

The next page section break not only adds a visible new page break, but in
some documents, it also adds a second page that is not visible unless you do
a print preview. In the print layout view, you cannot see the extra page.
You can only see the page nunbering skip a page from before the break and
after the new page. Page number will go from 353 to 355 with no visible page
in between.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

A Next Page Section Break will always cause a new page to be added. The Odd
and the Even will add a new page depending upon the page number of the page
in which the Section Break is added. A continuous one should only add a new
page if its position coincides with where a soft page break would otherwise
have been.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Scott.Thayn" wrote in message
If I create a new section break, whether it is Next Page, Odd, Even, or
Continuous, sometimes it inserts an extra page that is not visible unless
go to "Print Preview." This doesn't happen all of the time and I can't
figure out why it does it some times and not others.

Doug Robbins

Take a look at the formatting of the first paragraph after the Section
Break. Is it formatted to have a page break before it? or, do you have a
whole of paragraphs formatted to be kept with next?

--

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Jessica

I have a template (.dot) that ONCE had odd-page section breaks. I have
manually converted them all back into next-page section breaks.

However, some of them still act like odd-page section breaks.

Is there anything I can do to stop this from happening?

There are NO page format changes in the document; all margins and
orientation are the same.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Often Word will convert a Next Page break to Odd Page if the reason for the
break is a change in page orientation. You can sometimes correct this by
changing the section start type on the Layout tab of Page Setup.

Grace L. Judson

Just out of curiousity, if there are no format changes, why do you have
section breaks at all?

What are the section breaks intended to accomplish?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Often Word will convert a Next Page break to Odd Page if the reason for
the
break is a change in page orientation. You can sometimes correct this by
changing the section start type on the Layout tab of Page Setup.

so

Jessica

The page format doesn't change, but the headers do, to reflect chapter
titles. And the Appendix section has differently formatted page numbers
(A-1, B-1 etc).

"Grace L. Judson" wrote:

Just out of curiousity, if there are no format changes, why do you have
section breaks at all?

What are the section breaks intended to accomplish?

You don't actually need to insert section breaks just to change the chapter
titles in the header; you can use a StyleRef field to pick that up. You do
need section breaks between the chapters if you want a "Different first
page" in each chapter, but you can still use the StyleRef field to pick up
your chapter title so that you don't have to unlink the headers.

news

"Grace L. Judson" wrote:

Just out of curiousity, if there are no format changes, why do you have
section breaks at all?

What are the section breaks intended to accomplish?

Jessica

Thanks - but we do a different first page. I might be able to talk them into
a new standard that could be accomplished using styleref, but let's not bet
on it. They use full chapter titles on the first page and abbreviated ones
on the remainder, with no header text on the first page.