SirWizard

Default How do I set a heading format to "Odd" page (or section) break bef

I want to set Heading 1's paragraph format to place a page break (or section
break) before the paragraph so the style places the heading on the right side
page. The left page in the verso-recto pair may or may not be blank as a
result.

I'm inclined to think this hasn't been made into a Word feature yet, but
sometimes options and work-arounds are hidden in strange places. Yes, I know
I can insert a page break or odd section break manually, but I want it as
part of the format.

Are you listening Microsoft? This would not be hard to code, and there's
plenty of space in the Paragraph format dialog box under the Line and Page
Breaks tab.
Daiya Mitchell

You can set Page Break Before as part of a style, but Odd page starts
requires a section break, and you cannot set Section Break before, as you
say. The only workaround is manually inserting section breaks.

Yes, this would be a handy feature. However, let's consider the
ramifications of a Section Break Before setting with "automatically update"
Normal style switched on. It could get very ugly. But you can request it
he

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Greg Maxey

SirWizard,

You can cobble together a fair work around using some AutoText fields and an
If fields.

Insert and select single page break and save if as an AutoText entry. Name
it SPB
Insert and select two adjacent page breaks and save it as an AutoText entry.
Name it DPB

Enter the following field code. Note all brackes { } are entered with
CTRL+F9

{IF{=Mod({Page},2)}="0"{AutoText "SPB"}{AutoText "DPB"}}

Select this field and save it as an AutoText entry. I used Newheading1

OK, when you apply a new heading 1 start typing Newheading1 and when the
autocomplete tip fires, press enter. The page breaks should format your
document as you described.

HTH

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

SirWizard wrote:
I want to set Heading 1's paragraph format to place a page break (or
section break) before the paragraph so the style places the heading
on the right side page. The left page in the verso-recto pair may or
may not be blank as a result.

I'm inclined to think this hasn't been made into a Word feature yet,
but sometimes options and work-arounds are hidden in strange places.
Yes, I know I can insert a page break or odd section break manually,
but I want it as part of the format.

Are you listening Microsoft? This would not be hard to code, and
there's plenty of space in the Paragraph format dialog box under the
Line and Page Breaks tab.

SirWizard

Thanks Greg,

That's somewhat like the way I captured chapter names to place into page
headers for a book I helped a friend edit.

"Greg Maxey" wrote:

SirWizard,

You can cobble together a fair work around using some AutoText fields and an
If fields.

Insert and select single page break and save if as an AutoText entry. Name
it SPB
Insert and select two adjacent page breaks and save it as an AutoText entry.
Name it DPB

Enter the following field code. Note all brackes { } are entered with
CTRL+F9

{IF{=Mod({Page},2)}="0"{AutoText "SPB"}{AutoText "DPB"}}

Select this field and save it as an AutoText entry. I used Newheading1

OK, when you apply a new heading 1 start typing Newheading1 and when the
autocomplete tip fires, press enter. The page breaks should format your
document as you described.

HTH

SirWizard

Thanks Stefan. That was VERY helpful. The document on which I'm working today
is improved (and simplified) with STYLEREF. It works great with my "Link to
Previous" footers. (But you already knew that.)