Default Normal.dot

Hi all,

Two quick questions about Office/Word 2003.

1. How do I edit the normal.dot template that loads when Word loads? I get
the prompt to save changes to normal.dot, but the changes don't actually get
saved. When I re-open word, the old normal.dot reappears.

2. When I search for "normal.dot" in Word's online help, why does it find no
results?

Thanks,
Phideaux

Charles Kenyon

Question 2 first. Word's help is a mystery to us all.

Question 1. Do you have Acrobat 7 installed? If so write back for
workarounds; this program has a botched Add-In for Word that is the usual
reason that people can't save changes to normal.dot.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

phideaux wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Two quick questions about Office/Word 2003.

1. How do I edit the normal.dot template that loads when Word loads? I get
the prompt to save changes to normal.dot, but the changes don't actually
get
saved. When I re-open word, the old normal.dot reappears.

2. When I search for "normal.dot" in Word's online help, why does it find
no
results?

Thanks,
Phideaux

I have Acrobat 5.0, My company is just slightly behind the times. We're
using Word 2003 though. :-)

Thanks Charles.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

phideaux wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Two quick questions about Office/Word 2003.

1. How do I edit the normal.dot template that loads when Word loads? I

get
the prompt to save changes to normal.dot, but the changes don't actually
get
saved. When I re-open word, the old normal.dot reappears.

2. When I search for "normal.dot" in Word's online help, why does it

find
no
results?

Thanks,
Phideaux

Charles Kenyon

Next likely culprit is some knowitall in IT who kindly replaces your
normal.dot with a standardized version when you log-in.

In any case, consider using a separate custom global template to store your
customizations. See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for
step-by-step instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up
customizations including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments,
toolbars, macros, etc.
--

phideaux wrote in message ...
Hi all,

Two quick questions about Office/Word 2003.

1. How do I edit the normal.dot template that loads when Word loads? I

get
the prompt to save changes to normal.dot, but the changes don't
actually
get
saved. When I re-open word, the old normal.dot reappears.

2. When I search for "normal.dot" in Word's online help, why does it

find
no
results?

Thanks,
Phideaux

Bob

phideaux wrote in message ...

1. How do I edit the normal.dot template that loads when Word loads? I
get the prompt to save changes to normal.dot, but the changes don't
actually get saved. When I re-open word, the old normal.dot reappears.

and on 20-Apr-2005, "Charles Kenyon"
wrote:

Question 1. Do you have Acrobat 7 installed? If so write back for
workarounds; this program has a botched Add-In for Word that is the usual
reason that people can't save changes to normal.dot.

I have the same problem, and I have Acrobat 7 Pro installed. I'd love to
find a fix.

Thanks,
Bob

Bob

On 10-Jun-2005, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See the last section of
http://www.gmayor.com/lose_that_adob...at_toolbar.htm

Thanks Suzanne; that worked perfectly.

Bob