Geoff_from_Oz

Default How do I fix "macros disabled"? The Help instr did not help!

I have newly installed Office 2003 and whenever I open Word I get a message
headed Microsoft Visual Basic that says "The macros in this project are
disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host
application to determine how to enable macros". The online help instructions
relating to rerunning setup did not fic the problem. Can anyone please help
me?
Jezebel

It's nothing to do with set-up. It's an on-going issue, explained if you
type 'Security' into Help. Go to Tools Macro Security to change the
settings. The challenge is to find a setting that both lets you run the
macros you want, and blocks code in documents downloaded or sent to you by
strangers.

To enable your own macros to run you can a) check 'Trust access to Visual
Basic project' on the trusted publishers tab, or b) put them in an add-in
and check 'Trust all installed add-ins and templates', or c) run
SelfCert.exe to create a personal certificate and sign the VBA project, or
d) set security to low. This last option is likely to end in tears unless
the computer has no internet access or you're on a network with other
security measures in place.

"Geoff_from_Oz" wrote in message
I have newly installed Office 2003 and whenever I open Word I get a message
headed Microsoft Visual Basic that says "The macros in this project are
disabled. Please refer to the online help or documentation of the host
application to determine how to enable macros". The online help
instructions
relating to rerunning setup did not fic the problem. Can anyone please
help
me?

Tony Jollans

Trust access to Visual Basic Project has a very specific meaning and does
not enable/disable macros.

From the sound of the problem you have an Add-In of some sort which runs
code when Word starts up - except that the default security settings in Word
2003 won't allow it. Go to Tools Macros Security Security Level (tab)
ans set the security to High or Medium (as Jezebel says Low is dangerous)
and see if that helps.

If that doesn't help, or you don't want to do that, you'll need to find out
what's trying to run. I'm sure there's a FAQ on http://word.mvps.org/faqs/
somewhere but I don't know the exact one off the top of my head. Come back
if you're stuck.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Jezebel" wrote in message
[...]

Jay Freedman

The most likely cause of the message is an add-in that's stored in the
wrong folder.

Read the last footnote in
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...peningWord.htm for how
to find Word's two Startup folders -- usually one under the Program
Files folder and one under the Documents and Settings folder. Look for
a .dot file in the Startup folder under Program Files, and move it to
the Startup folder under Documents and Settings.

Other articles on finding add-ins are
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...sInstalled.htm
and http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...514521033.aspx.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 16 Oct 2005 13:39:35 +0100, "Tony Jollans" No Mail wrote:

Trust access to Visual Basic Project has a very specific meaning and does
not enable/disable macros.

From the sound of the problem you have an Add-In of some sort which runs