Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
J Engineer J Engineer is offline

Default headers and footers - how can I make a form field appear autom

Help - I have followed your instructions, BUT I get a Square after the text
in the header. What did I do wrong? Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Whoops, sorry, it seems that cross-references don't work in the
headers/footers of protected documents. This is inconvenient, but here is
something that will work:

1. Define a specific character style for the form field whose content you
want to replicate in the header. It doesn't have to look any different from
the rest of the text; it just has to have a name.

2. Apply this character style to your form field.

3. In the header, insert a StyleRef field to pick up this style. It will
update as you change the data in the field.

"needinghelp" wrote in message
It's still not working right. :-( Here is what I'm doing, maybe you can
help me figure out where I'm going wrong.

1. Unprotect document
2. Right-click on the field I want to show up in the header and chose
"properties". Check field settings and made sure that "Calculate on exit"

is
checked. ("fill-in enabled" is also checked, btw). Make note of the

bookmark
name (Text40). Click ok.
3. Go to View Header and Footer. Go to the header on the second page.
4. Go to Insert Cross-reference. For "Reference type" I chose "Bookmark"
off the dropdown menu. For "Insert reference to" I chose "bookmark text"

of
the drom down menu. "For which bookmark:" I chose Text40. Clicked

Insert,
then Close.
5. Closed Header/Footer.
6. Protected document (for forms), then saved the document
7. Tested it out by typing something in the name field. Doesn't work
(doesn't show up in the header on the second page).

Please help! I feel so clueless and can't figure out what I'm doing

wrong.
:-S

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Have a look at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm for
instructions that may be easier to follow.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Whoops, sorry, it seems that cross-references don't work in the
headers/footers of protected documents. This is inconvenient, but here

is
something that will work:

1. Define a specific character style for the form field whose content

you
want to replicate in the header. It doesn't have to look any different

from
the rest of the text; it just has to have a name.

2. Apply this character style to your form field.

3. In the header, insert a StyleRef field to pick up this style. It will
update as you change the data in the field.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi That70sHeidi is offline

Can you please explain how this can work when you're replicating data from
within a table into your headers?

I have the style and styleref set up and it works fine - as long as it's not
being referenced from within a table. I don't think our company really wants
to redesign our forms, however. Is there an override for the table I could
use?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Provided that what you want to reference from the table is formatted with a
unique style (which can be a named character style with the same format as
the underlying style) then styleref should display that style content
without problem.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
That70sHeidi That70sHeidi is offline

It appears to be an issue with my Style... I'd taken it from Normal, which
obviously has nothing in it (I just discovered Reveal Formatting!). On a
frustrated whim I tried using Heading 1 to make a style, and it works
perfectly fine.

Thanks to you both!