Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ShariW ShariW is offline

Default reinstalling the Dictionary

My Word 2007 all the sudden does not recognize misspelled words. I have
checked the usual suspects: the Do Not Check Spelling box is UNchecked, etc.
I've gleaned from other posts that it may be a problem with the dictionary.
I have a custom dictionary - CUSTOM.DIC - but I'm not sure how to reinstall
the main dictionary, or to check if it's there. Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
$hri...![_2_] $hri...![_2_] is offline

Step 1:Choose "Options" from the "Tools" menu. In the window that comes up,
select the "Spelling and Grammar" tab.

Step 2:Click the "Custom Dictionaries" button. Then, to create a new
dictionary, click on "New." Choose a file name for your dictionary so you can
easily identify what it is and save it in the directory Microsoft Word
suggests, or in a directory of your choosing.

Step 3:Highlight the dictionary you've created by clicking on it and then
click the "Modify" button. You're now ready to begin adding words to your
custom dictionary.

Step 4:Type the word you want to add in the "Word" field at the top of the
window and hit "Add." Here, you can also remove words from the dictionary by
selecting the word you want to remove and clicking "Remove." Click "OK" when
you are done modifying your dictionary.

Step 5:Make your new dictionary the default custom dictionary if you'd like
for Microsoft Word to automatically add words to it. Click on the dictionary
in the "Custom Dictionaries" window and then click "Change Default" at the
right. Now when you click on a word Microsoft Word has underlined and choose
"Add to Dictionary," it adds it to your new custom dictionary.

Step 6:Exit out of the "Custom Dictionaries" window by clicking "OK" and
then click "OK" in the options menu.

Tips & Warnings

Note the directory where you save custom dictionaries so you can back them
up. This way, if you computer crashes or you have to reinstall Microsoft
Word, you can easily replace your dictionary.
Choose a language from the drop down menu at the bottom of the "Modify"
window to associate a dictionary with a language. When a language is
selected, Microsoft Word only uses this dictionary when it detects you're
typing in a certain language.
Although Microsoft Word allows you to enter phrases in the "Add a Word" text
box, it does not add the whole phrase. To add a phrase to a dictionary, each
word in the phrase must be added separately...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Guruveer Guruveer is offline

Have a check on below steps.

Click on office button. Go to word option at lower right end.

Then On the Review tab, in the Proofing group, click Spelling & Grammar.

Tip You can access this command quickly by adding it to the Quick Access

Toolbar, which is a part of the Microsoft Office Fluent user interface, by
right-

clicking the Spelling & Grammar button, and then clicking Add to Quick Access

Toolbar on the shortcut menu.

"ShariW" wrote:

My Word 2007 all the sudden does not recognize misspelled words. I have
checked the usual suspects: the Do Not Check Spelling box is UNchecked, etc.
I've gleaned from other posts that it may be a problem with the dictionary.
I have a custom dictionary - CUSTOM.DIC - but I'm not sure how to reinstall
the main dictionary, or to check if it's there. Can anyone help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Check if the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared
Tools\Proofing Tools\1.0\Override" exists and if it does delete it.