Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Default How can I speed word 2007, is taking 7 mins to open a simple file

How can I speed upt the time consuming when open a simple file in the new
word 2007 is taking more than 7 minutes, does anybody knows if I need to
desable somehting?
In the status bar, it saids verifying virus...

Thanks for your help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the Office
Plugin that comes with it (but don't disable Norton AutoProtect). See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs
with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more information.

David wrote:

How can I speed upt the time consuming when open a simple file in the new
word 2007 is taking more than 7 minutes, does anybody knows if I need to
desable somehting?
In the status bar, it saids verifying virus...

Thanks for your help

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pranav Vaidya[_2_] Pranav Vaidya[_2_] is offline

There are many reasons why Word files will open slow, anti-virus is one of them
See the size of Normal.Dot. If you are using Win XP go to Doc and
Sett\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates and delete the normal.dot,
Word will re-create it.

Also check for any disconnected network printers, if any uninstall them.

More over, check the STARTUP folder of Word, remove all the files from here.
C:\Documents and Settings\user ID\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\STARTUP
Below are the reasons listed-
1. Size of Normal.dot Delete Normal.dot
2. Temp files Delete temp files
3. Prefetch folder Delete files in 'Prefetch' window
4. Anti-virus checks for Macros Disable anti virus checks
5. If Word was originally started from a network Delete the Data key in
registry
6. Missing fonts issue Reinstall fonts
7. Wrong or network printer driver Reinstall printer driver as local
8. Windows XP SP 2 issue Uninstall SP2
9. Windows start up mode Start Windows in safe mode
10. File association Add "%1" towards the end of Program name in Control
Panel--Folder Options
11. Base template of the document Change/delete the base template entry for
the document

Hope all this will speed up the process.

--
Pranav Vaidya
VBA Developer