Island Girl

Default line numbering

How do I double space line numbering on a single spaced page? I've tried
"start with 1" and count by 2, but it always starts with 2 instead of 1.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for this and all of your help.
Stefan Blom

Well, if you specify 2 for "Count by", Word will display line numbers
2, 4, 6, 8, etc. Similarly, if you specify 3, Word will display
numbers for the third, sixth, ninth, etc. lines. This is by design.

If you want a custom format for line numbering, you'll have to do the
following:

On the View menu, click Header and Footer. Word positions the
insertion point in the header.

On the Insert menu, click Text Box. Draw a text box in the left
margin. Adjust its height so that it fits exactly within the top and
bottom margins of the page. Remove the border. Set the top and bottom
margins of the text box to zero.

In the text box, make sure that text has the same font, font size, and
line spacing as the text of the main body of the document. Type ENTER
multiple times so that you fill the text box vertically. Then enter
the desired numbers. For example, you can type 1 for the first line, 3
for the third line, 5 for the fifth line, if this is what you want.

Note that the success of the above method depends on how you indicate
new paragraphs in your text. If you are using first line indents, it
should work fine. (In this case, empty paragraphs work fine, too --
but their use is not recommended in Word documents.) On the other
hand, if you are using Spacing Before (or After), you may have to set
Line Spacing to a fixed amount (for body text as well as the text in
the text box), or your custom line numbers may not match text lines
properly.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Island Girl" wrote in message
How do I double space line numbering on a single spaced page? I've

tried
"start with 1" and count by 2, but it always starts with 2 instead

of 1.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for this and all of your help.

Stefan Blom

I forgot to mention that if you have headings of a different size, of
course these will also cause any manually typed line numbers to not
match the baselines of text. Fixed line spacing would cure that -- but
it has to be applied to all text, including headings, and it may not
look so good.

Perhaps you'll find that it is easier to accept the behavior of Word's
built-in line numbering feature.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message
[...]

Donna Nicholson

Do you know how to format line numbers? For some reason, unknown to me, my
line numbers now have 1.1.1 before the normal numbering. How do I get rid of
the 1.1.1?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

See this thread in the numbering group whose subject is "Line Numbers
Have Unwanted Paragraph Numbers" or click this link:
http://groups.google.se/group/micros...8c e6a69068ac

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Donna Nicholson" wrote in message
Do you know how to format line numbers? For some reason, unknown to

me, my
line numbers now have 1.1.1 before the normal numbering. How do I get

rid of
the 1.1.1?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Island Girl" wrote in

message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Donna Nicholson

Thanks, I'll try some of those solutions.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See this thread in the numbering group whose subject is "Line Numbers
Have Unwanted Paragraph Numbers" or click this link:
http://groups.google.se/group/micros...8c e6a69068ac

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Donna Nicholson" wrote in message
Do you know how to format line numbers? For some reason, unknown to

me, my
line numbers now have 1.1.1 before the normal numbering. How do I get

rid of
the 1.1.1?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Island Girl" wrote in

message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

You are welcome.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See this thread in the numbering group whose subject is "Line

Numbers
Have Unwanted Paragraph Numbers" or click this link:

http://groups.google.se/group/micros...8c e6a69068ac

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Donna Nicholson" wrote in message
Do you know how to format line numbers? For some reason, unknown

me, my
line numbers now have 1.1.1 before the normal numbering. How do I

get
rid of
the 1.1.1?

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

You are welcome.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Island Girl" wrote in

message

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tonya Tonya is offline

I recently started a new job that has 2007 Word after I have been using Word
2003 for 7 years. How do I put line numbering in for pleading paper? I am
so confused and very frustrated! Anyone please help me.

Thanks
--
Tonya

"Island Girl" wrote:

How do I double space line numbering on a single spaced page? I've tried
"start with 1" and count by 2, but it always starts with 2 instead of 1.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for this and all of your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Locate the Page Layout Tab. In the Page Setup Group there is a Line
Numbering Command. The default is none. You can then choose whether to
restart your numbering on each page, each section or never. They will
follow exactly the pattern that you use - double spaced, single spaced,
1.15" spaced, etc.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Tonya" wrote in message
:

I recently started a new job that has 2007 Word after I have been using Word
2003 for 7 years. How do I put line numbering in for pleading paper? I am
so confused and very frustrated! Anyone please help me.

Thanks
--
Tonya

10/10/2007 8:43 AM