Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
assistant111980

Default Why is my table fragmenting?

I am formating a curriculum and I have inserted several word tables and
entered text into them using the "Auto Fit to Contents" option. It was
working great, but now(several functional tables later) when I insert a table
and Auto Fit; the text goes verticaly instead of across the page horozontaly.
I end up with a long skinny table on the left hand side of the page. And
sometimes you can begin to see part of the table on the right hand side. A
very small part of the table that is fragmented and looks almost like a
ladder.
I am not sure if I just pushed something, or if the rest of my formatting
has messed up my table proccess.
Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YXNzaXN0YW50MTExOTgw?=,

I am formating a curriculum and I have inserted several word tables and
entered text into them using the "Auto Fit to Contents" option. It was
working great, but now(several functional tables later) when I insert a table
and Auto Fit; the text goes verticaly instead of across the page horozontaly.
I end up with a long skinny table on the left hand side of the page. And
sometimes you can begin to see part of the table on the right hand side. A
very small part of the table that is fragmented and looks almost like a
ladder.
I am not sure if I just pushed something, or if the rest of my formatting
has messed up my table proccess.

Hard to be really sure...

Are you seeing this in only the one document?

Have you tried using Table/Table Properties/Columns to set an EXACT column
width? And does that "take"?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
assistant111980

It is only in the one document, and I have tried exacting my columns.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?YXNzaXN0YW50MTExOTgw?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?YXNzaXN0YW50MTExOTgw?=,

It is only in the one document, and I have tried exacting my columns.

If this is happening in only the one document, then the table's internal structures
could be damaged.

Try selecting the table, then Table/Convert/Table to text. Use a TAB separator
(unless you've used Tabs in the table cells; in that case, choose a different field
separator). Then use Table/Convert/Text to table.

If you've pressed ENTER in the table cells, you'll first need to run a Find/Replace
to replace ^p with some unique character or set of characters. After you've
converted back to a table, replace the character with ^p to get the paragraphs in
the cells back.

[...]

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)