Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Peyton Todd

Default How to get a special character in my document?

Hello. My document contains segments of the IPA (International Phonetic
Alphabet) used by linguists to represent the sounds of speech (devised to
free us from the spelling pitfalls of a language like English). Most of the
symbols I need I can find in the Insert Symbol dialog, but not the one for
a nasalized 'eh' sound. The symbol for the 'eh' sound exists - it's the 'e'
which looks like a backwards number '3', and lots of letter symbols come with
the tilde, i.e., '~' used to represent nasality, over them. But the one used
to represent 'eh' does not.

I tried the techinque of holding Ctrl and pressing '~' before inserting the
symbol (the way one can get a Spanish n + tilde by pressing Ctrl + tilde,
then typing 'n', but that didn't work.

Thanks in advance,

--
Peyton Todd
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you don't find the characters you need in the IPA Extensions character
set in Arial Unicode MS, see
http://www.sil.org/computing/fonts/Encore-ipa.html

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Klaus Linke

Hi Peyton,

You could also try to insert a combining tilde after the vowel (303 Alt+X,
or Alt+771).
Depending on the font, the accent might sit a bit askew.

Regards,
Klaus