Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chilscout Chilscout is offline

Default Wrong page size on new documents

Running Word 2007 on XP machine.

When I start a new document, Word sets it to the wrong size. For example, a
document set as A4 stes to a size of 27cm x 21cm. Similar things happen when
A3 is selected and even when a custome size is set to A4 dimensions.

When I open normal.dotm it works fine.

It is as if Word is opening a different template to when it opens first
time, when ctrl-N is used or when opening NEWBlank Document from the Office
menu.

This is a recent phenomenon. but I cannot pin it down to being caused by one
particular event, I am afraid.

Short of reinstalling, which I don't really want to do as I would have to do
the entire Office suite and not just Word, does anyone have any
answers/thoughts?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Are you seeing these dimensions as a Custom size on the Paper tab of Page
Setup, or are you judging from the ruler in Print Layout view? If the
latter, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/WhiteSpace.htm

"Chilscout" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

I am not sure from your description but the problem could be that you have by
accident turned off the setting €śShow white space between pages in Print
Layout€ť (Office button Word Options Display category). This happens if
you double-click the top edge of a page.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg - Microsoft MVP (Word)

"Chilscout" wrote:

Running Word 2007 on XP machine.

When I start a new document, Word sets it to the wrong size. For example, a
document set as A4 stes to a size of 27cm x 21cm. Similar things happen when
A3 is selected and even when a custome size is set to A4 dimensions.

When I open normal.dotm it works fine.

It is as if Word is opening a different template to when it opens first
time, when ctrl-N is used or when opening NEWBlank Document from the Office
menu.

This is a recent phenomenon. but I cannot pin it down to being caused by one
particular event, I am afraid.

Short of reinstalling, which I don't really want to do as I would have to do
the entire Office suite and not just Word, does anyone have any
answers/thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Chilscout Chilscout is offline

Lene & Suzanne

Many thanks. This did the trick. Not sure when/how I unchecked the box as I
hardly ever go to the options menu, but hey, you've solved my dilemma.

Dean

"Chilscout" wrote:

Running Word 2007 on XP machine.

When I start a new document, Word sets it to the wrong size. For example, a
document set as A4 stes to a size of 27cm x 21cm. Similar things happen when
A3 is selected and even when a custome size is set to A4 dimensions.

When I open normal.dotm it works fine.

It is as if Word is opening a different template to when it opens first
time, when ctrl-N is used or when opening NEWBlank Document from the Office
menu.

This is a recent phenomenon. but I cannot pin it down to being caused by one
particular event, I am afraid.

Short of reinstalling, which I don't really want to do as I would have to do
the entire Office suite and not just Word, does anyone have any
answers/thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Note that in Word 2003, an injudicious click in the right place at the wrong
time (or vice versa) will do it. This was corrected in Word 2007 so that a
double-click is required, making it far less likely to be done
inadvertently.

"Lene Fredborg" wrote:

I am not sure from your description but the problem could be that you
have by
accident turned off the setting "Show white space between pages in Print
Layout" (Office button Word Options Display category). This happens

Page wrong size Chlscout Page Layout 1 November 24th 08 10:00 AM
Documents opening at the wrong display size Bert Coules New Users 2 March 26th 08 04:32 PM
why is envelpoe size 6 3/4 wrong size in word 2002? kenny k Microsoft Word Help 1 July 3rd 07 12:40 PM
2nd page header is wrong size Formatting Long Documents 2 October 4th 06 02:35 PM
Wrong page size with odd section breaks Todd Crandell Formatting Long Documents 1 June 25th 05 05:00 PM