Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jolene Jolene is offline

Default Sections, Page numbers and X of Y formatting

Hi.

I have to number various sections with "Page X of Y", but I want Y to be the
number of pages in that section. I have figured out the SectionPage command
can do that, but sometimes, I need to connect two sections, and Y does not
add the two sections' pages together then. How can I do that?

Just to clarify, in one chapter I have a picture that can only be displayed
in landscape page setup. To make just that one page landscape (the rest has
to be portrait), I put in a section break. But that page should still be part
of the total number of pages.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You will have to calculate the page numbers. For example, if sections 1 and
2 should be treated as one section (as far as counting the pages is
concerned):

In the body of section 1: { SET pagecount1 { SECTIONPAGES } }

In the body of section 2: { SET pagecount2 { SECTIONPAGES } }

In the header: Page X of { = { pagecount1 } + { pagecount2 } }

To create each pair of field delimiters, { }, use Ctrl+F9. Use Alt+F9 to
toggle display of field codes. Use F9 to update field results at the
insertion point.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jolene" wrote in message
Hi.

I have to number various sections with "Page X of Y", but I want Y to be
the
number of pages in that section. I have figured out the SectionPage
command
can do that, but sometimes, I need to connect two sections, and Y does not
add the two sections' pages together then. How can I do that?

Just to clarify, in one chapter I have a picture that can only be
displayed
in landscape page setup. To make just that one page landscape (the rest
has
to be portrait), I put in a section break. But that page should still be
part
of the total number of pages.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jolene Jolene is offline

Thanks Stefan.

I tried doing what you suggested, but got this error message: "!Syntax
Error, +". My exact code was: "{ = { pagecount1 } + { pagecount2 } }". Is
there maybe some kind of rule regarding spaces between brackets or something
similar?

"Jolene" wrote in message
Hi.

I have to number various sections with "Page X of Y", but I want Y to be
the
number of pages in that section. I have figured out the SectionPage
command
can do that, but sometimes, I need to connect two sections, and Y does not
add the two sections' pages together then. How can I do that?

Just to clarify, in one chapter I have a picture that can only be
displayed
in landscape page setup. To make just that one page landscape (the rest
has
to be portrait), I put in a section break. But that page should still be
part
of the total number of pages.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Sometimes, Word gets confused unless you have a space before and after a +
(or any mathematical operator), that is true.

Also, you did remember to create the { } (field delimiters) via Ctrl+F9? You
cannot type them in.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP