Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
slmjljlsj

Default Find-and-Replace Doesn't Work

I'm using Word 2003; I have a very large document and needed to replace both
words and phrases. When I used the find-and-replace feature I got a pop-up
indicating that no instances were found, even though I could clearly see one
of them on the screen at the time I performed the search. I tried "match
case" and "find whole words only", and even tried searching for partial
words/phrases. However, I still had no success. Is there some secret to
using this feature that I haven't discovered? Thanks for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Take a look under the find box. Is there anything about formatting?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"slmjljlsj" wrote in message
news
I'm using Word 2003; I have a very large document and needed to replace
both
words and phrases. When I used the find-and-replace feature I got a
pop-up
indicating that no instances were found, even though I could clearly see
one
of them on the screen at the time I performed the search. I tried "match
case" and "find whole words only", and even tried searching for partial
words/phrases. However, I still had no success. Is there some secret to
using this feature that I haven't discovered? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz

A less likely possibility - Are you sure you are entering the string to be
found *exactly* as it exists in the doc? If it includes any Special
Characters (such as em/en spaces, non-breaking hyphens, etc.) that is how it
must be entered into the Find field. Have you tried Copy & Paste (you'll
have to use Ctrl+V to paste into the Find/Replace fields)?
--
HTH|:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

"slmjljlsj" wrote in message
news
I'm using Word 2003; I have a very large document and needed to replace
both
words and phrases. When I used the find-and-replace feature I got a
pop-up
indicating that no instances were found, even though I could clearly see
one
of them on the screen at the time I performed the search. I tried "match
case" and "find whole words only", and even tried searching for partial
words/phrases. However, I still had no success. Is there some secret to
using this feature that I haven't discovered? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
slmjljlsj

Thanks for the suggestion, but none of the words/phrases has any formatting
that differs from the rest of the document, and there's nothing about
formatting in the find box.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Take a look under the find box. Is there anything about formatting?
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"slmjljlsj" wrote in message
news
I'm using Word 2003; I have a very large document and needed to replace
both
words and phrases. When I used the find-and-replace feature I got a
pop-up
indicating that no instances were found, even though I could clearly see
one
of them on the screen at the time I performed the search. I tried "match
case" and "find whole words only", and even tried searching for partial
words/phrases. However, I still had no success. Is there some secret to
using this feature that I haven't discovered? Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
slmjljlsj

Thanks, but there are no special characters in the words/phrases, and I
actually highlighted one of the instances of the word/phrase before
performing the search, and still received the same results. I'm truly
baffled by this problem.

"CyberTaz" wrote:

A less likely possibility - Are you sure you are entering the string to be
found *exactly* as it exists in the doc? If it includes any Special
Characters (such as em/en spaces, non-breaking hyphens, etc.) that is how it
must be entered into the Find field. Have you tried Copy & Paste (you'll
have to use Ctrl+V to paste into the Find/Replace fields)?
--
HTH|:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac