Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Gnibtay Gnibtay is offline

Default Unable to save changes to Fields in Mail Merge Document

Please Help if you can. I have lost about 10 hours editing a Mail Merge
Master document, only to find none of the changes are saved when you reopen.
Here's what happened: My document is a Master Form of legal document. I
merge the fields from a single client record into it, which inserts all the
client-specific data into the document. My Fields have changed, so I wanted
to edit the fields in my Master. I want to search for the {OLD-FIELD} and
replace it with the {NEW FIELD}. Word does not seem to allow me to do this.
First, it will not let me cut and paste the fields into the Search & Replace
Box. Secondlly, after hours of laboriously replacing my Fields one at a
time, and dutifully saving, NONE of the changes were saved. The changes are
all shown in the document while I'm editing it. Then I save & close the
edited document. When I re-open it it reverts to the original. None of the
changes have been saved! I have tested this a number of times. It is not my
error or my imagination. For some reason the Mail Merge document does not
save changes to the Fields. FYI, The document is NOT protected either. Any
thoughts? I am at my wits' end. Thank you.