Anybob

Default How do I format each new chapter page of a novel ?

Publisher's requirements for each new chapter of my novel specifies that the
chapter heading be 1/3 of the page down from the top and the narration start
i/2 page down from the top. How can I format each of the chapter pages
exactly the same? I'm using M.S. Word 2002. Any help would be appreciated.
Herb Tyson [MVP]

Use a Heading 1 (or some other Heading #) style for the chapter title.
Modify the style definition's paragraph formatting so that the Before
spacing is 3.67" (that's about 1/3 of 11") and the After spacing is 5.5"
minus the height of your chapter title font.

For more informationg, check the Help file and look for "styles".

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Anybob" wrote in message
Publisher's requirements for each new chapter of my novel specifies that
the
chapter heading be 1/3 of the page down from the top and the narration
start
i/2 page down from the top. How can I format each of the chapter pages
exactly the same? I'm using M.S. Word 2002. Any help would be
appreciated.

Stefan Blom

Note that if some headings consist of multiple lines of text, they would
push the first body text paragraph closer to the bottom the page. To
get around this, you would have to manually adjust Spacing After for
those headings. Therefore, it might be better to settle for Spacing
Before in the heading style(s) and then to place each heading in a table
cell with fixed height.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Anybob" wrote in message
Publisher's requirements for each new chapter of my novel specifies

that
the
chapter heading be 1/3 of the page down from the top and the

narration
start
i/2 page down from the top. How can I format each of the chapter

pages
exactly the same? I'm using M.S. Word 2002. Any help would be
appreciated.

I've used the single-cell table approach with considerable satisfaction in
situations where chapters not only had variable-length titles but also
epigraphs of widely varying length. Some trial and error is required to
assure that there will be adequate space below even the longest
title+epigraph, but once that's settled, a cell of Exact row height assures
that the chapter text starts in the same place on every page.