Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
editor7 editor7 is offline

Default Index repeats every word with every subentry

Hi, I have a 320-page Word 2003 document for family history. I created a
concordance file with last names, such as Smith, with subentries such as John
Martin, Mary Elizabeth, etc. that should be listed under Smith like this:

Smith
John Martin
Mary Elizabeeth

However, for every subentry (John Martin, Mary Elizabeth), it lists every
single page number that has the name Smith, even if John and Mary aren't on
those pages. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Sounds like at some point you asked Word to index every occurrence of
"Smith" when you meant to ask it to index every occurrence of "John
Martin Smith" and had it insert John Martin's index entry field. If
you Show Non-Printing Characters, you'll see them all.