Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
baiduk baiduk is offline

Default Windows Vista Word 2003

I have a new desktop w Windows Vista and the default WP program Word 9.0. I
would like to install Office 2003 which mirrors my office PC but get a
message that seems to suggest that I need to install Windows XP. Is this
correct? Can I get around this?
barba
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

Exactly what does the error message say? Do not paraphrase the message.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"baiduk" wrote in message

I have a new desktop w Windows Vista and the default WP program Word 9.0.
would like to install Office 2003 which mirrors my office PC but get a
message that seems to suggest that I need to install Windows XP. Is this
correct? Can I get around this?
barba

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
baiduk baiduk is offline

"The product key you entered requires a version of Microsoft Office 97, 2000,
or XP to upgrade. (I'm not trying to "upgrade"...just install.) If one of
these versions of Microsoft Office is not installed on your machine, you will
need to supply a version of Microsoft Office on CD ROM in the next step.
Check OK to continue with the upgrade or click CANCEL to stop installation."

--
barba

"baiduk" wrote in message

I have a new desktop w Windows Vista and the default WP program Word 9.0.
would like to install Office 2003 which mirrors my office PC but get a
message that seems to suggest that I need to install Windows XP. Is this
correct? Can I get around this?
barba

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules JoAnn Paules is offline

If you read what it's telling you, it's saying that you have an upgrade, not
a full version of the software. You must have Office 97, 2000, or XP to use
as a qualifying product for your software to install. It is not telling you
that you need Windows XP.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"baiduk" wrote in message

I have a new desktop w Windows Vista and the default WP program Word
9.0.
would like to install Office 2003 which mirrors my office PC but get a
message that seems to suggest that I need to install Windows XP. Is
this
correct? Can I get around this?
barba

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

To add a bit to this, you don't have to reinstall your old version of Office
first. After you click OK in the message you quoted, the installer will
prompt you to insert the CD from the old version. When you do that, the
installer will be satisfied that your "upgrade" is valid -- that is, you own
the qualifying old version.

If you don't have the old CD, then you're going to have to buy a "full"
version as opposed to the "upgrade" version you have now.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"baiduk" wrote in message

I have a new desktop w Windows Vista and the default WP program
Word 9.0.
would like to install Office 2003 which mirrors my office PC but
get a message that seems to suggest that I need to install Windows
XP. Is this
correct? Can I get around this?
barba

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
baiduk baiduk is offline

Thank you all. My computer-savvy son came up with the same conclusion just
about the same time as you were responding. All is working fine now.
--
barba