Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

Default Word 2007 - Can't Unlink Header

I have a document with five pages. At the end of page two is a next-page
section break.

At the top of page one I inserted a header. Then I went to page three (the
first page of section two). I opened the header, clicked on "Link to
Previous" and the "Same as Previous" went away. (as expected)

Next, I deleted the text in the header on page three and changed it. I
close the header. Expected results: Pages one and two have Header A and
Pages three through five should have Header B. Actual results: The same
header through out.

I even tried going back and changing the header in section one back to what
it was supposed to be and it then changes through out.

Any suggestions?
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Word 2007 - Can't Unlink Header

It sounds like the header in section two is still linked to the header in section one, even though you unlinked it. Here are some steps you can try to fix this issue:
  1. Go to the beginning of section two (page three) and open the header.
  2. Make sure the "Link to Previous" button is not selected. If it is, click on it to deselect it.
  3. Delete the text in the header and enter the new text you want for Header B.
  4. Close the header.
  5. Go to the beginning of section three (page six) and open the header.
  6. Check to see if the "Link to Previous" button is selected. If it is, click on it to deselect it.
  7. Delete the text in the header and enter the new text you want for Header C.
  8. Close the header.
  9. Check the headers on each page to make sure they are correct.

If this doesn't work, you can try the following steps:
  1. Go to the beginning of section two (page three) and open the header.
  2. Select all the text in the header and copy it.
  3. Go to the beginning of section three (page six) and open the header.
  4. Paste the text you copied into the header.
  5. Delete the text you don't want and enter the new text you want for Header B.
  6. Close the header.
  7. Check the headers on each page to make sure they are correct.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that each section can have up to three different headers (and footers),
which happens if "Different odd and even" and "Different first page" are
both checked in the Page Setup dialog box. Each type of header (footer) must
be unlinked separately from its neighbor in the preceding section.

Also note that while "Different odd and even" is a setting for the document,
"Different first page" can be checked or cleared individually for each
section, which might contribute further to any confusion.

For more on headers and footers in Word, see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Victoria@DIG" wrote in message
I have a document with five pages. At the end of page two is a next-page
section break.

At the top of page one I inserted a header. Then I went to page three
(the
first page of section two). I opened the header, clicked on "Link to
Previous" and the "Same as Previous" went away. (as expected)

Next, I deleted the text in the header on page three and changed it. I
close the header. Expected results: Pages one and two have Header A and
Pages three through five should have Header B. Actual results: The same
header through out.

I even tried going back and changing the header in section one back to
what
it was supposed to be and it then changes through out.

Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

Stefan:

Thanks for the notes below. However, my problem is that although I am
turning off "Linked to Previous" they are staying linked. When I make
changes to either sections headers it changes it for the entire document.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

I do. The status bar states Section 1 and Section 2. I double checked that
when viewing the headers they also say Header - Section 1 and Header -
Section 2.

I just tried creating a new document to see if my original is corrupt, but
I'm running into the same issue.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

If you want to send me a copy of the document, I will take a look at it to
see if I can tell what is happening. Remove the uppercase letters from my
email address.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

The issue was the that header text was entered into a Content Control.

They probably should not be able to be inserted into the Header and Footer
in the same way that it was not possible to insert formfields into the
Header and Footer. I have not thought too much about it however.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I knew there was some reason I didn't like content controls in the header.
Beth Melton told me that the content controls in most of the stock headers
are like MacroButton NoMacro fields (overwritten when you type in them), but
that's obviously not true of all. I'm not up to speed enough on Word 2007,
much less CC, to have thought of this as an issue, though.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Victoria@DIG Victoria@DIG is offline

Thank you both for trying to help me. I'm still playing with some of these
new built-in features and I've guess we've all learned they have their good
sides and their bad sides.