Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Judy Judy is offline

Default Two different spaces

I have a doc with a table where the first paragraph is in date form
like: 2008 10 11 z 1730 for 1800 B. By clicking on Show/Hide I can see
that there are two different kinds of spaces: 2008*10*11
z&1730*for*1800&B, where * represents a space shown by a small black
dot and & a space shown by a small superscripted circle. In sorting a
* space comes before a & space. This can mess up the needed sort
order.

Can anyone tell me why I知 getting two different spaces? I知 not
conscious of entering different spaces.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

I can't tell you why you're getting them - are you copying and pasting
external text perhaps but the dot is a normal space and the circle is a
non-breaking space that you can use to stop lines breaking wher eyou don't
want them to. You can use Find and Replace to change them all to normal
spaces: in the Find box enter a single space, and in the Replace box enter
^s (caret, letter ess), and then press Replace All.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Judy" wrote in message
I have a doc with a table where the first paragraph is in date form
like: 2008 10 11 z 1730 for 1800 B. By clicking on Show/Hide I can see
that there are two different kinds of spaces: 2008*10*11
z&1730*for*1800&B, where * represents a space shown by a small black
dot and & a space shown by a small superscripted circle. In sorting a
* space comes before a & space. This can mess up the needed sort
order.

Can anyone tell me why I知 getting two different spaces? I知 not
conscious of entering different spaces.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Judy Judy is offline

"Judy" wrote in message

I have a doc with a table where the first paragraph is in date form
like: 2008 10 11 z 1730 for 1800 B. By clicking on Show/Hide I can see
that there are two different kinds of spaces: 2008*10*11
z&1730*for*1800&B, where * represents a space shown by a small black
dot and & a space shown by a small superscripted circle. In sorting a
* space comes before a & space. This can mess up the needed sort
order.

Can anyone tell me why I知 getting two different spaces? I知 not
conscious of entering different spaces.

A. No copy and paste is involved. All are entered manually.
B. Find and Replace would be burdensome - not the solution in this
particular case. In fact replacing with ^s changes the dot to the
circle, which is the reverse of the need.
C. Surely someone knows what these different spaces truly are and
perhaps has an insight into how I知 managing to produce them.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

My apologies, I did get the find and replace the wrong way round - you
should, of course, replace all ^s with space; I'm sorry if you find that
burdensome; you could record a macro to run which would be a little easier.

I have told you what the different spaces truly are. The non-breaking spaces
may - in some circumstances - be automatically added, but not, as far as I
know, when the language is set to English.

To enter them manually you press Ctrl+Alt+Hyphen, but it is possible you
have a different key combination assigned which may be easier to
accidentally press. You can check by going to the Customize Keyboard
dialogue (in Word 2007: Office Button Word Options Customize tab
(keyboard) Customize button; in earlier versions: Tools Customize
Keyboard button) and scrolling down the left hand box ("Categories") to
select "Common Symbols" and then scrolling down the right hand box
("Commands") to select "Nonbreaking space") and then looking to see what key
it says is assigned.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Judy" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Sorry, Tony, Ctrl+Alt+Hyphen is something entirely else. To insert a
nonbreaking space, you use Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar. There's a chance, of course,
that the degree symbol in this instance represents an en or em space. The
best way to find out what it is is to select one and go to the Symbol dialog
and see what's selected, or to select it and press Alt+X and see what
Unicode glyph number is returned (00A0 for a nonbreaking space, 2002 for an
en space, 2003 for an em space).

"Judy" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

As Tony says, they are non-breaking spaces usually inserted using
Ctrl+Shift+Spacebar. They're purpose is to stop adjacent characters or words
from separating.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Judy" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Sorry, not my day, is it? - and I was just about to correct myself to
Ctrl+Alt+Space! As you quite rightly say it is Ctrl+Shift+Space. I never use
en and em spaces - I didn't realise they displayed the same.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

www.WordArticles.com

"Judy" wrote in message

I have a doc with a table where the first paragraph is in date form
like: 2008 10 11 z 1730 for 1800 B. By clicking on Show/Hide I can see
that there are two different kinds of spaces: 2008*10*11
z&1730*for*1800&B, where * represents a space shown by a small black
dot and & a space shown by a small superscripted circle. In sorting a
* space comes before a & space. This can mess up the needed sort
order.

Can anyone tell me why I'm getting two different spaces? I'm not
conscious of entering different spaces.

A. No copy and paste is involved. All are entered manually.
B. Find and Replace would be burdensome - not the solution in this
particular case. In fact replacing with ^s changes the dot to the
circle, which is the reverse of the need.
C. Surely someone knows what these different spaces truly are and
perhaps has an insight into how I'm managing to produce them.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

They don't display exactly the same (see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm), but they might
appear the same to (or be described the same by) someone who is not familiar
with them.

"Judy" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Judy Judy is offline

On Nov 12, 7:37*am, "Tony Jollans" My forename at my surname dot com
wrote:
My apologies, I did get the find and replace the wrong way round - you
should, of course, replace all ^s with space; I'm sorry if you find that
burdensome; you could record a macro to run which would be a little easier.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It sounds as though Word is using the AutoCorrect feature to switch your
input to an ISO date/time format. I never noticed that it used non-breaking
spaces before reading this thread. You can turn off the feature to test to
see if it stops occurring.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Judy" wrote in message

I have a doc with a table where the first paragraph is in date form
like: 2008 10 11 z 1730 for 1800 B. By clicking on Show/Hide I can see
that there aretwodifferentkinds ofspaces: 2008*10*11
z&1730*for*1800&B, where * represents a space shown by a small black
dot and & a space shown by a small superscripted circle. In sorting a
* space comes before a & space. This can mess up the needed sort
order.

Can anyone tell me why I知 gettingtwodifferentspaces? I知 not
conscious of enteringdifferentspaces.

A. No copy and paste is involved. All are entered manually.
B. Find and Replace would be burdensome - not the solution in this
particular case. In fact replacing with ^s changes the dot to the
circle, which is the reverse of the need.
C. Surely someone knows what thesedifferentspacestruly are and
perhaps has an insight into how I知 managing to produce them.- Hide quoted
text -

Thanks, Tony, yes I suppose it will have to be a macro.

I致e analysed what痴 happening and it seems weird to me.
I type only a single line: 2008*10*11*z*1730
As soon as I add a space after 1730 the * before 1730 changes to &
2008*10*11*z&1730*

I致e done nothing but enter straightforward keystrokes.

too many spaces Heidi Microsoft Word Help 7 October 29th 06 03:23 AM
Unwanted Spaces? HI-Liter New Users 3 August 4th 06 08:26 PM
I want to add spaces after a right tab Nigel Greensitt Page Layout 2 December 28th 05 11:59 AM
How can I replace single spaces with double spaces in a docume TJ Microsoft Word Help 1 February 27th 05 05:22 AM
I cannot type two sequential letters or spaces or back spaces? TLThomas Microsoft Word Help 1 November 30th 04 09:02 AM