A Microsoft Word forum. Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » Microsoft Office Word Forum - WordBanter forum » Microsoft Word Newsgroups » Microsoft Word Help
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Text box macro

Old May 29th 19, 05:53 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: May 2019
Default Text box macro

Can someone point me towards code that will create a text box and place the insertion point inside the box? Iím a novice at vb. I can record a macro that creates the box but the insertion point remains outside.
Ads
Old June 3rd 19, 09:15 PM

First recorded activity by WordBanter: Jun 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamSwindon View Post
Can someone point me towards code that will create a text box and place the insertion point inside the box? Iím a novice at vb. I can record a macro that creates the box but the insertion point remains outside.
I gave it a try... it seems for me when it created a text box, the dummy text in the box was already highlighted, which meant I didn't have to select it, could just hit paste.

Highlight the text you want to insert in a text box then run the macro. This includes a command taking you to the top of the paragraph that text is in before inserting your text box. By the way you can't mouse click to do that while recording a macro; the keystrokes are CONTROL + UP_ARROW keys.

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
'
'
Selection.Copy
Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdParagraph, Count:=1
ActiveDocument.Shapes.Range(Array("Text Box 2")).Select
Application.Templates( _
"C:\Users\[me]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\14\Built-In Building Blocks.dotx" _
).BuildingBlockEntries(" Simple Text Box").Insert Whe=Selection.Range, _
RichText:=True
Selection.PasteAndFormat (wdFormatOriginalFormatting)
End Sub

What I use is not properly a text box, but a single cell table, which is what some of our engineering documents use as a callout text box to highlight significant text in the documents.

I needed to make sure my cursor would move to the top of the current paragraph before creating the text box. That's what the MoveLeft, MoveUp lines are about. I also had the table "text box" saved in my building blocks formatted the way I generally need it (shading, borders, etc.) So I inserted it from the Building Block path. Then I had to select the text box using "GoTo" the previous table, since my cursor was below the newly created table. Then I had to use Extend to get it to select the entire paragraph of text in the dummy table (it hadn't occurred to me, I could have probably saved it to Building Blocks with no text in it.)

Sub mktextbox()
'
' mktextbox Macro
'
'
Selection.Copy
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Selection.MoveUp Unit:=wdParagraph, Count:=1
Application.Templates( _
"C:\Users\{me]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Document Building Blocks\1033\14\Building Blocks.dotx" _
).BuildingBlockEntries("TextBox").Insert Whe=Selection.Range, RichText _
:=True
Selection.GoTo What:=wdGoToTable, Which:=wdGoToPrevious, Count:=1, Name:= _
""

With Selection.Find
.Text = ""
.Replacement.Text = ""
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = False
.MatchCase = False
.MatchWholeWord = False