Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
atimholt atimholt is offline

Default Unsuported unicode script and the MS Mincho font

When I begin to type in an unsupported unicode script (Deseret), using a
keyboard layout I had to make myself (though I'm sure thats irrelevant), Word
automatically switches fonts away from the unicode font I am using (which has
the proper glyphs), to "MS Mincho" (which apparently has rather wide spaces
in place of the proper glyphs). To say the least, this is annoying.
It's definite that Word can display Deseret Alphabet text, because it works
properly when Deseret text is pasted in, or when I highlight the typed blank
spaces and change the font back to the one I actually want.
On another note, though I imagine this would be hard to fix, Deseret
characters are not properly word-wrapped at the end of lines. My guess is
that this is because internally, the word-wrap feature must be able to
distinguish 'alphanumeric' characters and punctuation/other characters, and
an obscure character set like Deseret will be seen, by default, under the
punctuation/other set, which word-wrap has no qualms over slicing and dicing.
Any help would be great.