Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
patti

Default "Do not check spelling or grammer"

Hi,
I have a TOC I set up long ago. The Description of the formatting says "Do
not check spelling or grammar." I do not know how to change this so that it
is checked when doing a spell and grammar check. Can you help.
Thanks Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bill Ridgeway

Click on ToolsOptionsSpelling & Grammar

In the section Spelling. click on Check spelling as you type
In the section Grammar click on Check grammar as you type

Regards.

Bill Ridgeway
Computer Solutions

"patti" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a TOC I set up long ago. The Description of the formatting says "Do
not check spelling or grammar." I do not know how to change this so that
it is checked when doing a spell and grammar check. Can you help.
Thanks Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You will need to modify each of the TOC styles (TOC 1, TOC 2, etc.). Use
Format | Language to remove the check in "Do not check spelling or grammar."

Shauna Kelly's article at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...ifyAStyle.html explains how to
modify most styles in Word 2002 and 2003, but this will not work for TOC
styles, which are not displayed in the Styles and Formatting task pane even
when you select "All styles." There are two ways to access these styles:

1. Choose Custom for "Show," which will open the Format Settings dialog, in
which you can click the Styles... button to get to the Style dialog.

2. Right-click in the TOC field and choose Edit Field, then click Table of
Contents..., which will take you to the TOC dialog, where you can click
Modify... to get to those styles.

"patti" wrote in message
Hi,
I have a TOC I set up long ago. The Description of the formatting says "Do
not check spelling or grammar." I do not know how to change this so that

it
is checked when doing a spell and grammar check. Can you help.
Thanks Patti

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Patti,

I have a TOC I set up long ago. The Description of the formatting says "Do
not check spelling or grammar." I do not know how to change this so that it
is checked when doing a spell and grammar check. Can you help.

I'm curious as to why you'd spell check a TOC, as these are usually generated
via a field code from text in the document. Presumably, if the spelling in the
document is correct, the TOC would be, as well.

But in any case, in order to change this for a STYLE, go into the dialog box
where you modify the style. From the "Format" button, select "Language". Make
sure the checkbox referring to this is NOT activated.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 4 Dec 2005 11:10:48 -0000, "patti" wrote:

Hi,
I have a TOC I set up long ago. The Description of the formatting says "Do
not check spelling or grammar." I do not know how to change this so that it
is checked when doing a spell and grammar check. Can you help.
Thanks Patti

Select the TOC (or the whole document). Go to Tools Language Set
Language.

Depending on which version of Word you have:

- In earlier versions (up to Word 97, I think), one of the language
choices in the list is "(no proofing)". Click a real language such as
"English (US)" and click OK.

- In more recent versions, there's a check box below the list, labeled
"Do not check spelling or grammar". Uncheck that box and click OK.

You probably need to go into Tools Options Spelling & Grammar and
click the Check Document button to reset the spell checker. Then press
F7 to rerun the checker.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman