Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wendy

Default How do I limit the number of words found with wildcards?

I am trying to give instructions to students on how to search for
prepositional phrases, which can often be changed or deleted to improve
prose. For instance, if they search for €œa [word] of€ they can find €œa number
of€ (which can be replaced with "many") and "a variety of" (which can be
replaced with "different") and so on and so forth. The problem, as noted in
some of the other posts, is that a search for "a * of" finds every instance
of "a" after "of" no matter how many words come in between. Is there a way I
can do a search that limits the number of separate words that * can find? I
tried limiting it to one word between "a" and "of" by searching for "a *
of" but that didn't work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

What you're looking for is 'a' plus a space, plus one or more non-spaces,
plus a space, plus 'of' --

a [! ]{1,} of

You need to check 'Use wildcards' for this to work.

"Wendy" wrote in message
I am trying to give instructions to students on how to search for
prepositional phrases, which can often be changed or deleted to improve
prose. For instance, if they search for "a [word] of" they can find "a
number
of" (which can be replaced with "many") and "a variety of" (which can be
replaced with "different") and so on and so forth. The problem, as noted
in
some of the other posts, is that a search for "a * of" finds every
instance
of "a" after "of" no matter how many words come in between. Is there a way
can do a search that limits the number of separate words that * can find?
tried limiting it to one word between "a" and "of" by searching for "a *
of" but that didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wendy

Thanks so much, that worked perfectly! And I see that I can search for
strings with two words in between by searching "a [! ]{1,} [! ]{1,} of". I
don't suppose there is any way of searching for "a" and "of" with one to
three words in between?

"Wendy" wrote in message
I am trying to give instructions to students on how to search for
prepositional phrases, which can often be changed or deleted to improve
prose. For instance, if they search for "a [word] of" they can find "a
number
of" (which can be replaced with "many") and "a variety of" (which can be
replaced with "different") and so on and so forth. The problem, as noted
in
some of the other posts, is that a search for "a * of" finds every
instance
of "a" after "of" no matter how many words come in between. Is there a way
can do a search that limits the number of separate words that * can find?
tried limiting it to one word between "a" and "of" by searching for "a *
of" but that didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Unfortunately, Word's wildcard method (it's a subset of what are documented
elsewhere as 'regular expressions') is not so powerful.

"Wendy" wrote in message
[...]
*
of" but that didn't work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wendy

Yes. Years ago I edited in the word processing program AmiPro and I remember
its search and replace feature as being so much stronger than Word's. Alas,
it did not survive Microsoft.

"Wendy" wrote in message
[...]

How do I set a limit for the amount of words used in a file? Ataquandry Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 06 04:57 PM
How to limit the number of characters in a mail merge field pschatz100 Mailmerge 2 January 3rd 06 07:28 PM
Maximum number of pages in a word document Travis75 Formatting Long Documents 5 January 27th 05 05:03 AM
Word frequencies Anthea Microsoft Word Help 6 January 10th 05 04:46 AM
Word Count mel Microsoft Word Help 2 December 14th 04 10:17 PM