KarenLRB KarenLRB is offline
Junior Member

Default Issues with hyphens in Caption changing to em dash

I am having a problem where my hyphens in my caption numbers are changing to em dashes. Here's what I have set: in Caption dialog box, under Options, Label is set to Figure, Position set to Below selected item, Exclude label from caption is turned on; in Numbering, Format is set to 1, 2, 3, Incluce chapter number is on, Chapter starts with Heading 1, Use separator is set to hyphen.

Everytime I insert a caption, the caption displays in my document with an em dash instead of a hyphen (so like 1(em dash)1. Caption Title instead of 1-1. Caption Title (with a hyphen)). I am using Word 2007 and this is happening to all of my documents that use captions. It is also happening on some of my colleagues documents using Word 2007 and Word 2010.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

I'm wondering if this could be caused by AutoFormat As You Type, but I have
never seen the problem myself.

Immediately after the hyphen has changed into a dash, if you look at the
Undo drop down, what command is listed there?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"KarenLRB" skrev i meddelandet

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
[email protected] hilbean88@gmail.com is offline

I'm having this same problem. There is no pulldown and you don't see the change happen, it's just an em dash (instead of the specified hyphen) after you click ok on the caption dialogue box.

I'm wondering if this could be caused by AutoFormat As You Type, but I have never seen the problem myself. Immediately after the hyphen has changed into a dash, if you look at the Undo drop down, what command is listed there? -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

What do you see on the Undo drop down then?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP