Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda Linda is offline

Default Content and legacy controls

I have created a form in Word 2007 that includes both legacy check boxes and
Text content controls. I want to protect the document from changes to all but
editing the controls. When I use the Document Protection button, the check
box controls operate, but the Text box controls do not.

Then I read Jay Freedman's response to the Content Control Titles Vanishing
question explaining that content controls cannot be protected in this manner.
So I removed protection, selected the entire document and added a Rich text
control. Now, the Text box content controls work but the check box controls
do not work.

What is the procedure to use both types of controls and provide protection
to all form content and still allow users to complete the information in the
controls? I could not find a check box content control, only the Legacy check
box control. Also, the check box control does not operate until I add
protection and allow editing of controls. Is there a way to test check box
controls before adding protection, or will they only work with protection on?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Depending on how your form is setup, you could put the checkbox in a
separate section of your document and protect only that section. I would
experiment with the Continuous section break.

Another alternative is to use the Active X Checkbox control. If you
associated any programming logic with your checkbox, then that would require
that your document become a .docm (macro enabled)

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

This message was posted to a newsgroup, Please post replies and questions
to the group so that others can learn as well.
"Linda" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda Linda is offline

I added a continuous section break and protected that section. The checkbox
controls work and everything in the protected section works. The next section
that contains the text content controls is not protected and the controls
work also. However, other text within that section is not protected from
changes. So I tried to create a Rich text control of that section, but the
option was dimmed. Anyway to protect content in this section and keep the
controls working?

I tried changing the check box control to an active x check box control, but
this seemed to have an adverse effect on the text content controls...

Also, can you answer the last two questions in my first post? Thanks!
--
Linda

"Linda" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

When working with legacy checkbox controls, the only method for testing is
to turn protection on. As for why the Rich Text control was dimmed, I would
guess that you were working with one of the sections protected? If so, do
all your design work without protection and then all your testing with
protection turned on.

--

"Linda" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Linda Linda is offline

Yes, I turned off protection for the other sections and was able to enclose
the one area in a rich text control... all worked. Thanks.
--
Linda