Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Heather Heather is offline

Default Lengthy merge code

Hi, all - I have a question that's probably painfully easy and obvious,
but I'm stumped.

I'm working with a very large (1400+ columns) csv file to create
customized letters for our students. I used merge code to determine
scholarships and special program offers based on things like admission
averages. Unfortunately, an admission average can appear in one of ten
positions, and within the one in ten, in one of six positions. So,
naturally, my merge code is long. I don't know sql and there isn't time
to write new programming, so I'm stuck with my pages and pages of merge
code.

To try to improve performance, I have code stored in different
files...so with the main letter, if the individual record meets certain
criteria, there's an includetext function for a document. That
document, in turn, has includetext functions from a master document
that inserts appropriate paragraphs. It works - it's not pretty, but it
works.

The merge takes a long time, and I assume it's because word is ticking
through each line of code and saying to itself 'yes/no.'

My question is: is there something I can insert into my code to say
that if the condition is found (positive result), to stop searching
though the rest of the code in that linked document and move on?

Thank you again for your help. This group has been an invaluable
resource.

Heather