ElaineG

Default The "symbol" is missing

I use Symbol from the insert menu for foreign language letters. This
category is not there! What happened? Have I done something? Where did it
go?
Herb Tyson [MVP]

You probably zapped it by mistake (if you press Ctrl+Alt+[dash between 0 and
=, the next menu or toobar item you select automatically gets removed). This
is meant to be a customization shortcut. But, so few people know about it,
that it ends up doing more harm than good for most users.

To put Symbols back... If you haven't customized the menu, the easiest way
is to reset the menu: choose Tools - Customize - Toolbars tab, click on Menu
Bar in the list of toolbars, then click on Reset.

If you have customized the menu, then simply drag Symbols back onto the menu
in the desired slot. Choose Tools - Customize - Commands tab. Set Categories
to Insert. Under Commands, find Symbol..., and drag it up to the Insert menu
(which will expand, allowing you to drop Symbol... in the desired location).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com