Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Gizmo0207

Default one cell of a table is copied to another cell in same table

I've created a table the top part are word "fill-in" fields. I want to do
something very simple, but can't figure it out. I want to take the text
filled in in cell "D1" and copy the contents to cell "A50". Can anyone help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Jay Freedman

On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 12:10:02 -0800, Gizmo0207
wrote:

I've created a table the top part are word "fill-in" fields. I want to do
something very simple, but can't figure it out. I want to take the text
filled in in cell "D1" and copy the contents to cell "A50". Can anyone help?

For starters, is the field in cell D1 really a Fill-In field, or is it
a text form field? That is, if you press Alt+F9 to display field
codes, do you see FILLIN or FORMTEXT in the code in D1? It makes a
difference...

If it's a Fill-In field, you need to insert a bookmark that "names"
the field. Select the field, go to Insert Bookmark, and enter a name
(for now I'll assume it's D1, but you should use a name that reflects
what the value means). Then go to cell A50 and insert a REF field
containing the name of the bookmark in D1. When you update both
fields, the Fill-In field displays its dialog box, and the result is
displayed in both places. (But updating only the Fill-In field does
NOT automatically update the REF field. You need to update both,
either by selecting the whole table or document and pressing F9, or by
printing/print previewing.)

If D1 contains a form field in a protected document, first open the
Properties dialog of the form field. Set the Bookmark box to the name
you want to use, and check the "Calculate on exit" box. Then insert a
REF field in A50 containing the name of the form field in D1. Protect
the document. When you change the value in the form field and tab or
click to the next form field, the REF field will update automatically.

See http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm for more ways.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman