Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michelette Michelette is offline

Default Changing Heading Numbering - Word 2007

OK, I understand the connection between Heading Styles and the TOC, but what
is driving me to distraction is trying to reassign the headings. I originaly
typed this 170 page document without Really paying attention to the heading
styles and added a Chapter number at the end (I was compiling several
existing documents with new info). So here is what I want:
Chapter I, Chapter II, Chapter III, etc. = Heading 1
1., 2., 3., etc. = Heading 2
1.1, 1.2, 1.3, 2.1, 2.2, or 3.1, 3.1, etc = Heading 3

This is typed up to appear corectly now, but when I go back and try to
assignthe new Heading style (even saying make this Heading like the
Highlighted) IT CHANGES THE NUMBERING!!!! Sometimes like this:
2.
1.1
it will also put numbers on a different Stye below! Changing a bullit to a
number for example.

What am I doing wrong?!!! And is there a simple solution? I am beside
myself trying to get this fixed!

Thanks!
Michele
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Michelette: Here is what I did and it seemed to work.
1. At the top of the document use the Headings 1 , 2, 3 etc built in
styles from the Styles list. Do not try to make it look like you want it
right now. Put anything for the text (fjklsdf)
2. Put your cursor at the beginning of Heading 1. Open the Multilevel Bullet
list.
3. Select "Define New Style List" . A dialog box will appear with your
Heading 1, 2, 3 etc.
4. Name your new Style (Heading Chapters). I try to keep the first word of
the style the same as the built-ins so it will sort correctly in the
galleries.
5. Do not format the main dialog box. Go to Format/Numbering. You should
get the old numbering formatting dialog box. Make ALL your Heading
formatting in this one dialog box.
6. Select Heading 1. Type "Chapter" in front of the "1". Change the "Number
Style for this List" to "I, II, III" .
7. make any other formatting changes you want to the Heading (Indents,
Follow with, etc)
8. Select the second level in this same dialog box. Delete the "I" in from
of the "1". Make sure the "Number Style for this List" to "I, II, III" is
"1, 2, 3"
9. Select the third level in this same dialog box. Delete the "I" in from of
the "1". Make sure the "Number Style for this List" to "I, II, III" is "1,
2, 3". Your are tricking the system to think that the third level is really
the second level.
10. Do this to as many levels as you think you will use in your document.
11. Select OK in the Numbering Dialog Box
12. make sure the "Only in this document" box" is check in the "Define New
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in
all your documents: The select "New Documents based on this template".
13. In your document, your Heading 1 that you entered should be "Chapter I"
14. In your document, delete all the Headings you entered at the top of the
document except the "Chapter I" Heading.
14. enter a few lines of (ghghghg) under "Chapter I".
15. Highlight "Chapter I", Click the Format Brush, and format all the
(ghghgh) as Chapter I. They Should be Chapter II, etc.
16. Tab on Chapter II and it should be "1"
17 Double Tab on the new Chapter II and it should be "1.1"
18. Continue this fall all your levels. Hopefully this is what you want
your Headings to look like, but you are not through.
on the Original "Heading 1". Click on the Drop Down and select "Update
Heading 1 to Match the Selection". Do this for every level.
20. Delete all your formatting Headings that you entered at the top of your
document.
21. All your Headings should look like you want them. If not, then you can
go through the document and manually apply the correct Heading style.
Hope this works. Wasn't this fun!!

I am a new user of 2007, if any of the guru's ot there think there is a
better or quicker, or saferr way to do this I would REALLY like to hear from
you as I have been very frustrated with numbering 2007.
--
Dave Robinson

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michelette Michelette is offline

ummmmmmmmm, gee (LOL) this is not so simple! but I will print this out and
give it a try - My formatting is so messed up now - what can it hurt?
Can I send it to you? :0]
Thanks for your prompt reply!
Michele

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

Michelette: I don't think it is proper protocol on this discussion site to
give out a personal email address. Give this a try and respond to this
thread if it doesn't work.
--
Dave Robinson

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michelette Michelette is offline

I was only kidding.....

OK I gave it a try (setting it up not applying it throughout) and it worked
great except for one thing. Maybe I am just not getting the numbering.
Under Chapter I I want the numbering to be 1.1, 1.1.1 - and it is. But under
Chapter II I would like it to be 2.1, 2.1.1 - but what I am getting is 1.2,
1.2.1.
How do you change this?
Thanks Dave

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Dave Robinson Dave Robinson is offline

I'm glad its working so far. To get 2.1:
Select the Style in the Multilist box, right click and select Modify.
Go to Format, Numbering (Are you getting good at this yet?)
Select Level 2. Select More on the botton/right for more options.
About in the middle Deselect "Restart List After".
This seemed to work for me. I'm learning to.
Next problem----?
--
Dave Robinson

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michelette Michelette is offline

OK!
Well, I will be an expert for that next Tech Writer position!
Thanks

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michelette Michelette is offline

Gosh this makes me want to tear my hair out!
OK it worked for Chapter II, III, etc. Level 2 (I had to set it at each
Chapter though)
Now the Level 3 won't continue correctly - so I get
Chapter II
2.1
2.1.1 (OK good)
2.2
2.1.5
2.3
2.1.7 (etc.)

Gad! I went to your previous suggestion for the Level 2 and it doesn't work
either on or off for the Level 3 and it won't accept a change by hand.

Have you found this is tooo hard too?

Thanks for your help

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in

"Michelette" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Michelette Michelette is offline

Dave, after much searching I think I figured out what is going on! It is the
AutoFormat & AutoFormat As You Type! Everything I read on the Word MVP and
(finally - Word 2007 for Dummies) suggests to turn everything under these
tabs off. It over-rules everything you try to do with the formatting we were
discussing.
Since you are learning too - thought this might help you as well.
Thanks again for all your time.
Michele

"Dave Robinson" wrote:

[...]
List Style" box. Inless you want this Heading structure to be available in