Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tiddles Tiddles is offline

Default How do I access a database in Outlook Express for mail merge

I've created a database in Microsoft Outlook, but when using Microsoft Office
Word and setting up a mailmerge document I cannot access the database in
Outlook.

I use Outlook Express for my daily emails. Will this cause a problem? Its
just saying it can't access the database and can't find it, but when I go
back to Microsoft Outlook it's all the-(
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word cannot directly use an Outlook Express address list. You can however
export the address list from Outlook Express into a text file (comma
delimited) and use that as a mail merge data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Tiddles" wrote in message
I've created a database in Microsoft Outlook, but when using Microsoft
Office
Word and setting up a mailmerge document I cannot access the database in
Outlook.

I use Outlook Express for my daily emails. Will this cause a problem?
Its
just saying it can't access the database and can't find it, but when I go
back to Microsoft Outlook it's all the-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

To clarify, Word will not see your Outlook Contacts List unless you set
Outlook as your default Windows e-mail application.

Tiddles wrote:
I've created a database in Microsoft Outlook, but when using
Microsoft Office Word and setting up a mailmerge document I cannot
access the database in Outlook.

I use Outlook Express for my daily emails. Will this cause a
problem? Its just saying it can't access the database and can't find
it, but when I go back to Microsoft Outlook it's all the-(

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What kind of database have you set up in Outlook? Is it a list of contacts,
or based on Contacts items? Or have you created an Outlook forms application
that stores user-defined data? If it is a list of contacts, Graham's reply
should provide the necessary pointers. Otherwise, you will probably have to
find a way to export the data into a format that Word can use as a data
source - if you have an Outlook view that can display your data in a tabular
format, you can do a lot worse than select the data in Outlook, Edit|Copy,
then Edit|Paste into, e.g. Excel.

Peter Jamieson