Whipper Snapper

Default Need Contents and Index for Word 2003

When I click on "Help" I get MS online help; however, the topic never comes
up and I am wasting about 15 minutes per search. I need to access the
"contents" and "index" files from my computer without getting on the
internet. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?
Jay Freedman

Whipper Snapper wrote:
When I click on "Help" I get MS online help; however, the topic never
comes up and I am wasting about 15 minutes per search. I need to
access the "contents" and "index" files from my computer without
getting on the internet. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

At the bottom of the Help task pane, click "Online Content Settings". In the
dialog, uncheck "Show content and links from Microsoft Office Online". That
will restrict searches to the local help file, which gives almost instant
results.

There are no contents or index to help in 2003 (be assured that Microsoft
got an earful from us about that!).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Whipper Snapper

thank you for replying to my e-mail. Please add me to the list of angry
users who want the old Contents and Index back. Ouch! This really messes up
a lot of things. Thanks anyway.

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Whipper Snapper wrote:
When I click on "Help" I get MS online help; however, the topic never
comes up and I am wasting about 15 minutes per search. I need to
access the "contents" and "index" files from my computer without
getting on the internet. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

At the bottom of the Help task pane, click "Online Content Settings". In the
dialog, uncheck "Show content and links from Microsoft Office Online". That
will restrict searches to the local help file, which gives almost instant
results.

There are no contents or index to help in 2003 (be assured that Microsoft
got an earful from us about that!).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
choro-nik choro-nik is offline

I've been pestering them for the Help Index myself. Do they ever listen? One
step forward two steps back...

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Whipper Snapper wrote:
When I click on "Help" I get MS online help; however, the topic never
comes up and I am wasting about 15 minutes per search. I need to
access the "contents" and "index" files from my computer without
getting on the internet. Any thoughts on how I can fix this?

At the bottom of the Help task pane, click "Online Content Settings". In the
dialog, uncheck "Show content and links from Microsoft Office Online". That
will restrict searches to the local help file, which gives almost instant
results.

There are no contents or index to help in 2003 (be assured that Microsoft
got an earful from us about that!).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
choro-nik[_2_] choro-nik[_2_] is offline

It may but basically I am complaining about the disappearing act done by the
HELP INDEX which is a precision tool and not a generalized CONTENTS list. Can
you imagine looking up a printed encyclopedia without the Index volume? This
is definitely a retrograde step which will make a lot of people think twice
about MS Office including Word. They MUST come up with a patch to put the
HELP INDEX back on all MS Office products. I give MS the thumbs down over
this disapparance of the HELP INDEX. They simply have to put it back. After
all it is not as if new generation computers lack hard disk space. I have
just added a second 300 GB HD to my home built computer.