Frustrated

Default Merge loses "symbol" character when taken from an excel spreadshee

I am trying to merge an excel file that has data imported from a text file.
I have included a column with a function to "substitute" a "d" in a character
string to the "degree symbol." This works fine in excel, but when I merge
the field into my Word form, it loses the symbol! I entered the symbol in
the excel cell function using the character number "0176" as shown in Word's
Latin-1 symbol set. I have tried to set the word merge field with format
"switches," etc., to no avail.

I am going MAD trying to figure out how to get the degree symbol to show up
in my form! Can you help?!

Frustrated

Frustrated

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

Which version of Excel/Word?

Peter Jamieson

"Frustrated" wrote in message
I am trying to merge an excel file that has data imported from a text file.
I have included a column with a function to "substitute" a "d" in a
character
string to the "degree symbol." This works fine in excel, but when I merge
the field into my Word form, it loses the symbol! I entered the symbol in
the excel cell function using the character number "0176" as shown in
Word's
Latin-1 symbol set. I have tried to set the word merge field with format
"switches," etc., to no avail.

I am going MAD trying to figure out how to get the degree symbol to show
up
in my form! Can you help?!

Frustrated

Sorry....2000 for PC

Peter Jamieson

Yes, this character does not appear to get through when you use the default
connection method (DDE), or the ODBC connection method. Try connecting
again, but in the Open Data Source dialog box, check "Select method" and
choose the "Microsoft Excel Worksheet via Converter" option. Another
approach would be to select the spreadsheet, Edit|Copy, then Paste|Special
in RTF format into a blank Word document to create a Word table, then use
that as the data source.