Rodsman

Default Modification Password Protection in Word 2003

Hi all,

For some model agreements that my office uses, I password protected the
files so that no modifications could be made without the password.
Originally when you tried to open the files, it would prompt you for the
password or ask you to choose "read-only." Today, I needed to make a change
to one of the files but I this option is not coming up, i.e., I cannot figure
out where and how to input the password so I can change the original
document. I thought it might be related to the security provisions of the
folder(s) since the models are on a network drive, but our IT folks made sure
I do have read and write authority.

So, what am I missing here? I feel sort of dumb with this but in trying to
use the help function or doing a search on the web, the answer is not jumping
out at me.

Thanks
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Um9kc21hbg==?=,

For some model agreements that my office uses, I password protected the
files so that no modifications could be made without the password.
Originally when you tried to open the files, it would prompt you for the
password or ask you to choose "read-only." Today, I needed to make a change
to one of the files but I this option is not coming up, i.e., I cannot figure
out where and how to input the password so I can change the original
document. I thought it might be related to the security provisions of the
folder(s) since the models are on a network drive, but our IT folks made sure
I do have read and write authority.

The two kinds of prompt you mention apply to quite different kinds of passwords.
Also, you shouldn't be able to open the document at all if you're not getting
this kind of prompt. Or, if you can, then you should be able to modify it.
Assuming, that is, that you really did apply the kind of password protection you
describe. However...

Word 2003 introduced a new type of document protection. If you applied this,
then: Tools/Unprotect document.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org