Menno Hershberger

Default MS Sans Serif

Someone sent me a document using MS Sans Serif for most of their font.
The font name appears at the top in the toolbar. He had some font that
was in Arial and he wanted it changed to MS Sans Serif. So I highlighted
the text he wanted changed and the box indicated Arial, so I hit the
dropdown menu and MS Sans Serif is not on the list of fonts. The only way
I could get the job done was to paste some other text that was already in
MS Sans Serif and then edit it. Surely that's not the proper way to do
it. I can't imagine MS Sans Serif NOT being in the list due to its
popularity. How do I get it on the list?
It IS in the windows\fonts folder as "sserife.fon"

--
--- A Freudian slip is when you say one thing but mean your mother. ---
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Menno,

The .fon fonts are screen resolution fonts. MS put them
aside in favor of scalable (for printing and screen display)
Truetype fonts quite awhile back.
http://support.microsoft.com/default...us;291354&FR=1
Word displays printable fonts in its font list.

Note that even though you're see a name in the font dropdown
on the toolbar in Word if you then check the [Font Substitution]
setting in Tools=Options=Compatability] you may see that
Word is actually using a different font.

=======
"Menno Hershberger" wrote in message ...
Someone sent me a document using MS Sans Serif for most of their font.
The font name appears at the top in the toolbar. He had some font that
was in Arial and he wanted it changed to MS Sans Serif. So I highlighted
the text he wanted changed and the box indicated Arial, so I hit the
dropdown menu and MS Sans Serif is not on the list of fonts. The only way
I could get the job done was to paste some other text that was already in
MS Sans Serif and then edit it. Surely that's not the proper way to do
it. I can't imagine MS Sans Serif NOT being in the list due to its
popularity. How do I get it on the list?
It IS in the windows\fonts folder as "sserife.fon"
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Menno Hershberger

Thanks for the explanation. I guess there must be a good reason for why
they eliminated it. The guy tells me now that he had done it in Word 97
so that explains how he got MS Sans Serif in the first place.

"Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com
wrote in :

[...]

Even Word 97 won't let you use MS Sans Serif easily. It would not be listed
in the font list and would have to be entered manually. Although Word would
use MS Sans Serif for display, Arial would be substituted for printing. See
"WD97: Some Fonts Are Not Available in Word" at
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=163059

wrote in :

[...]

Looking for fonts Bauer Bodoni, Sans Serif, etc. Tonto Microsoft Word Help 3 July 31st 05 02:14 AM
Serif v Non serif font Dave Neve Microsoft Word Help 2 May 2nd 05 08:19 PM
sans serif ne5 Microsoft Word Help 1 February 23rd 05 04:08 PM
sans serif font ne5 Microsoft Word Help 1 February 22nd 05 03:37 PM
Copy/paste sans formatting RobG New Users 3 January 21st 05 09:30 PM