Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OM OM is offline

Default Field display size

When I put a field in my document the "greyed out" areas representing the
fields are all the same lengths. It doesn't seem to matter if I right click,
and change the "Maximum Length" - the size displayed doesn't change, and
doesn't reflect the allowed max size. If I set the Maximum Length to (say)
10, then I can only enter a max of 10 characters - if I set it to 50, then I
can enter 50, but I want the display to be a representation of the maximum
length.

Can this be done oh wise gurus.

I am using Word 2000

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Will that be 50 letter 'i's or 50 'w's? Proportional fonts take up a
different amount of space depending on which letter you mean. If you are
viewing this with 12 point Times Roman font, there are 50 'i's and only 14
'w's occupying the same space.
iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
wwwwwwwwwwwwww
You would only have a fixed space if you used a monospaced font such as
Courier New.
One solution would be to put your fields in a borderless table cell of fixed
dimensions and use a grey fill or the cell.

OM wrote:
When I put a field in my document the "greyed out" areas representing
the fields are all the same lengths. It doesn't seem to matter if I
right click, and change the "Maximum Length" - the size displayed
doesn't change, and doesn't reflect the allowed max size. If I set
the Maximum Length to (say) 10, then I can only enter a max of 10
characters - if I set it to 50, then I can enter 50, but I want the
display to be a representation of the maximum length.

Can this be done oh wise gurus.

I am using Word 2000

Thanks in advance,

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
OM OM is offline

Thanks Graham - I guess your suggestion would work (sorry - will work!). I
realise that proportional fonts take up different amounts of horizontal
space - all I was trying to do was to give the person entering data a
"visual reassurance" that the field for (say) Address, would actually allow
more data than the field for (say) Sex (Y, N, Occasionally)(sorry... M,F)

Thanks for the help.

Rob