Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] aaronep@pacbell.net is offline

Default eliminating trailing zeroes imported into word document from excel file

I am using Windows XP, Msft Word vsn 2002, Msft Excel vsn 2002. I
have prepared an excel file
containing numbers and have formatted the cells that contain the
numerals to just 3 decimal places.

However, when I access the Excel file in a word document using Word's
mail merge feature, the numbers appear with approx 10 zeroes following
the decimal number.

I've rechecked the Excel file and only 3 decimal point places are in
the file.

How can I set the Word document up so only 3 decimal places appear?

All help extremely appreciated! This has been most frustrating.

Best, Aaron

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 08 Jun 2007 17:49:07 -0700, "
wrote:

I am using Windows XP, Msft Word vsn 2002, Msft Excel vsn 2002. I
have prepared an excel file
containing numbers and have formatted the cells that contain the
numerals to just 3 decimal places.

However, when I access the Excel file in a word document using Word's
mail merge feature, the numbers appear with approx 10 zeroes following
the decimal number.

I've rechecked the Excel file and only 3 decimal point places are in
the file.

How can I set the Word document up so only 3 decimal places appear?

All help extremely appreciated! This has been most frustrating.

Best, Aaron

Excel is fooling you. Each cell in the worksheet always contains all
those digits in memory, and it just rounds the display to the number
of digits you set in the formatting dialog. Word's merge fields ignore
the display formatting and retrieve the complete contents.

The solution is to insert a formatting switch in each merge field in
Word that retrieves a number. This is explained at
http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm in the section
"Format cash amounts to 2 decimal places". I think you'll see how to
modify that to get three places.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman