John D

Default Table of Contents does not save Styles selection in Options dialog

This is something of a repeat of a thread on the same topic dated 4/20 and
titled Tables of Contents and Styles. Neither of the respondants seemed to
understand the problem. Either that, or they have done something to solve it
and so have forgotten that it is a problem. I am looking for that something.

The problem is that regardless of which styles I select to display in my TOC
(click Options button and display "Table of Contents Options" dialog), the
styles are displayed correctly, but if I re-open that dialog (to edit my
selections perhaps), Word has forgotten my original selections, and I have to
set it all up again. Changing the TOC in the document's template does not
help. Word forgets the selections in a template just as completely as it does
in a document. The question is, is there any way to force Word to retain the
selections made in that dialog so that 1) I can make selected edits rather
than setting up all the styles again and 2) I can have some minimal
confidence that my selections will persist?

--
John D

If you revisit the TOC dialog, you will always find the default settings. If
you need to "edit your selections," then you'll have to accept this
situation. You should be able to tell whether Word is producing a correct
TOC field by examining the field code; with some practice you can edit the
field directly instead of revisiting the dialog. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm