Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chanda Chanda is offline

Default Masks in word tables

I am trying to place a photo into a cell of a table. I want it to fill the
cell and any overlap would not show up and I don't want the cell to change
sizes.

Help?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

If I read you question correctly, you want to insert a picture into a table
cell and have it match the cell exactly.

"I don't want the cell to change sizes" -
Table, Table Properties, Options button, uncheck "Automatically resize to
fit contents" box.

Cursor in the cell in question, Table, Table Properties, Cell tab, Options,
uncheck the "Same as the whole table" box, OK, click the Center option, OK.

Cursor still in the cell in question, Format, Paragraph, Indents and Spacing
tab, ensure that all indents and spacing are 0, Special is (none), and Line
Spacing is single.

Now when you insert your picture (Insert, Picture, From File) is should
match as close as Word is capable to the width of the cell.

If you need more precision, a floating image adjusted manually could work,
fiddly and it may not stay with the cell very well if the table is moved by
edits before it in the document.

Hope this helps
DeanH

"Chanda" wrote:

I am trying to place a photo into a cell of a table. I want it to fill the
cell and any overlap would not show up and I don't want the cell to change
sizes.

Help?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chanda Chanda is offline

No the picture does should not resize either. The parts that don't fit into
the cell should hang outside the cell invisibly... as if it sits in an
InDesign frame or it's masked. I know that this is possible since I have a
document I opened that has this property. I just can't figure out how they
did it!

"
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
DeanH DeanH is offline

You cannot use a Table cell to "mask" a picture.
You can use a Drawing shape and then have the Picture as the Fill Effect and
the Autoshape can be used to mask the non-required parts of the picture.
Maybe you need to do an Autoshape as the mask and have this in the Table Cell.
Or maybe I am misunderstanding what you describe. ;-)
DeanH