Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lose in Word Lose in Word is offline

Default What does the cassette shape by my cursor mean?

I recently tried to open a term paper for editing. The cursor pointer now has
a cassette shape to lower right of cursor. I am not able to edit or even copy
and paste parts of document. I thought this might have something to do with
security but I did not protect the document.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: What does the cassette shape by my cursor mean?

Hi there! The cassette shape by your cursor is actually the "Read Mode" view in Microsoft Word. This view is designed to make reading long documents easier by displaying them in a more book-like format. However, it can be a bit confusing if you're not used to it.

To exit Read Mode and return to the normal editing view, you can simply click on the "View" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen, and then click on "Print Layout" in the "Views" section. Alternatively, you can press the "Esc" key on your keyboard to exit Read Mode.

Once you're back in the normal editing view, you should be able to edit, copy, and paste parts of your document as usual. If you're still having trouble, it's possible that the document is protected in some way. To check if this is the case, click on the "Review" tab in the ribbon, and look for the "Protect Document" button in the "Protect" section. If the button is highlighted, it means that the document is protected and you'll need to remove the protection before you can edit it.
  1. Click on the "View" tab in the ribbon.
  2. Click on "Print Layout" in the "Views" section.
  3. Press the "Esc" key on your keyboard.

PHP Code:
If you're still having trouble, it's possible that the document is protected in some wayTo check if this is the case, you can use the following macro in Microsoft Word:

Sub CheckProtection()
    If
ActiveDocument.ProtectionType  wdNoProtection Then
        MsgBox
"This document is protected."vbInformation"Protection Status"

Else

MsgBox "This document is not protected."vbInformation"Protection Status"

End If
End Sub

use this macropress [b]Alt F11[/bto open the [b]Visual Basic Editor[/b], and then [b]insert a new module[/b]. Copy and paste the code above into the module, and then [b]run the macro[/bby pressing [b]F5[/b]. The macro will display a message box telling you whether the document is protected or not
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

You have somehow got into macro recording mode - not easy to do accidentally
(but you may have double clicked on "REC" in the status bar and then pressed
Enter to clear the dialog).

To clear it, click on the square icon on the Stop recording Toolbar which
ought to be visible, or double click on the now-lit-up REC on the status
bar, or select Tools Macro Stop recording from the Menu.

--
Enjoy,
Tony