Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Chad Harris

Default How to delete a 3 dot extension and why?

I did not post this in 3 places to be rude or waste time; I posted to get
the best answer to a puzzling problem from the sources I ID as the best
groups; and if someone is perhaps not happy then in a friendly pleasant way
please "bring it" 'cause I can take cyberheat in an effort to learn.

I'm on an XPSP2 box but it's not my problem but it got bandied about on one
of the MSFT chat formats and without a good answer. I suspect many of the
knowledgable Word regulars or people like David Candy on the XP groups
will be able to knock this out of the park.

The question is how to delete a folder whose extension has three dots. When
the individual tried to delete it, he got the file is in use box. I
suggested the following and the person did not try any of them fully but
finally got it deleted using: Purge IE
http://www.purgeie.com/delinv.htm

I suspect Purge IE could use methods in common with something below but I'm
not sure. It was the only one I know that was tried.

I suggested:
1) Reboot
2) Boot into Safe Mode and Delete it from Windows Explorer which rightly or
wrongly I believed would enhance chances of a Safe Mode Delete, Does Windows
Explorer enhance deletions? It's worked for me on occassion.
3) I suggested Doug Knox's Delete an Undeletable File and the individual
wouldn't try it because he said it would not work on a "Win 32 System." I
took this term to mean a 32 bit Windows and did not understand the
objection. Someone correct me if I misconstrued the term please.
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_undeletable_file.htm
4) I suggested this MSKB:
You cannot delete a file or a folder on an NTFS file system volume
http://support.microsoft.com/Default...1201211201 20
5) Finally could Doug's method and the Purge IE method and the KB be any of
the same methods?

Also I found the reading a little tough and wondered about Part 6 in the KB.

TIA,

Chad Harris