White Rabbit

Default Be more intelligent about EOLN for grammer checking purposes

Word should allow for the case where a carriage return
is NOT the end of a sentence. As it is, it foolishly highlights
the first word of most sentences as gramatically incorrect.
Daiya Mitchell

What's EOLN?

Anyhow, your computer is not a typewriter. There is no such thing as a
carriage return. There is only a paragraph mark, created on hitting enter.
(or possibly a line break, shift-return) And since paragraphs begin with
sentences, Word will capitalize it. If you think you are using a typewriter
and hitting return at the end of every line, you need to stop, and let Word
wrap the text to the next line for you.

You can turn it off capitalize via Tools | AutoCorrect, by the way.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

White Rabbit

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

What's EOLN?

I'll spell it out for you.
End Of Line.
Similar to EOF, End Of File.

EOLN could be a line feed, or a line feed/ carriage return pair
or a paragraph mark, all depending on the context.

Anyhow, your computer is not a typewriter. There is no such thing as a
carriage return. There is only a paragraph mark, created on hitting enter.

The two ASCII characters entered on hitting Return are LF/CR, (hint: CR
stands for Carriage Return) and are interpreted by Word as a paragraph mark.

(or possibly a line break, shift-return) And since paragraphs begin with
sentences, Word will capitalize it. If you think you are using a typewriter
and hitting return at the end of every line, you need to stop, and let Word
wrap the text to the next line for you.

If I'm writing a word document that will be read or printed from Word,
that works fine. But both my newsreader and my e-mail program use
Word for their editor.
Not all newsreaders or e-mail programs properly handle long lines
that need to be wrapped. So I always wrap them manually.
I may have typed it, or I may have pasted it in, either way I want it to
grammar check the result and sensibly recognize sentences irrespective
of intervening line breaks.

You can turn it off capitalize via Tools | AutoCorrect, by the way.

Word no longer capitalizes word simply because they are at the beginning of
the line. It does recognize the end of a sentence and still capitalizes them
there, correctly.

The grammar checker should recognize the way I work, and not force
me to work the way it expects. It should recognize a sentence that
continues on to the next line with intervening line breaks.
The capitalization happens long before the grammar checking, so
it is not really an issue. The grammar checker can see that the last
paragraph does not end with a period, and the new one does not start
with a capitalized letter and infer that the two fragments are part of
the same sentence.

Look, I can deal with it. I have macros written that handle all the
reformatting for me. But they were asking for suggestions, and I'm
making one.
Thanks anyway for your interest in reforming me.