husky86

Default Problem with Default Font While Printing Envelopes

When attempting to print envelopes from within Microsoft Word, the default
font settings used for the delivery address and the return address are NEVER
retained.

In other words, when you choose the font styles that you want within each of
these options, and then choose to use these fonts/styles as the Default,
Microsoft Word NEVER remembers.

Deleting the Normal.dot document and starting from scratch with a new Normal
document doesn't solve the problem either.

It seems that nothing that I have ever tried has worked. Actually, this
problem has been in place for many years. During that time I have gone from
one computer to the next while still using the same copy of Microsoft Office
XP, i.e. selling old computers on eBay and purchasing new ones. But the same
problem with attempting to print envelopes from within Microsoft Word
persists. So I know it's not just a situation involving a corrupted
Normal.dot file.

Any ideas?
Tony Jollans

If you update the appropriate styles (Envelope Address and Envelope Return)
and check the Add to Template box on the Modify Style Dialog the settings
should be retained in the template.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"husky86" wrote in message
[...]

husky86

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, I cannot find any of the settings that you are speaking
about. I'm currently using Word 2002 (Office XP suite). Perhaps these
options are not found in this particular version?

I'm a longtime computer user -- nearly 20 years -- so I'm not a novice. (I
even programmed in college.) I guess what I'm saying is that I've searched
everywhere in association with the settings that you are referring to and I
cannot find them anywhere.

Any additional help you might be able to provide would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Kevin

"husky86" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Jollans

Hi Kevin,

Apologies. What I said is correct but not exactly what you asked - you only
get the option to update the styles when you add the envelope to the
document, not when you just print it.

I don't have 2002 to hand at the moment but in both my 2003 and 2000
versions, pressing the Default button after changing the Font behind the
Options button gives me a prompt to confirm I want to change the defaults
and makes a permanent change.

If it doesn't work for you it might be worth trying adding an envelope to a
document, from where you will be able to change thestyles.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"husky86" wrote in message
[...]

husky86

Hello Tony,

Thanks again for taking the time to contemplate my issue. :-)

The interesting thing about your latest suggestion is that I have already
tried this route. The fascinating thing about the problem that Im
encountering is that even when the address comes from a Word document, and
even when the text is already preformatted in the document itself (exactly
like I would like it to appear on the envelope), when I attempt to print the
envelope Word changes the text to its initial default settings (Arial).

If you have any other suggestions €” or anyone else has any other suggestions
€” I would be most happy to entertain them. Im really getting desperate at
this point. :-)

Thanks again,

Kevin

"husky86" wrote in message
[...]

Tony Jollans

Hi Kevin,

I'm not quite sure where you're at with what you've done. As I said, all my
styles stick and everything appears to work as I expect.

Word uses it's own paragraph styles (as already said and which you can
change) for addresses in envelopes but copied addresses maintain any
*character* styling you have applied.

If you have changed the paragraph styles for the envelope addresses (or even
if you still have the Word defaults) they will be applied to the envelope
regardless of the paragraph styles in the letter. But if you select part of
the address in the letter and apply formatting to it (as opposed to applying
a style) it should carry through and override the envelope styles.

I'm not sure what else I can say. Perhaps someone else has experienced your
problems and will come forward with something.

--
Enjoy,
Tony